Thursday, May 26, 2011

Apple of Her Eye

I promised an entry today, and an entry will be had. This was another story idea that I received in my inbox. After writing this little snippet, I had another idea as to how to address the topic, so I may be revisiting it next week. So here is one way to address the world through the "eyes" of an apple.

I could have become something to be remembered. When you grow to fruition on a small farm, you expect to make more of your life. You expect to be found. You want to be appreciated for your uniqueness. You desire an existence that will leave a mark on the world. Sadly, some of us are not equipped to make our own dreams come true.

My luck placed me in such a situation. Bad luck cannot be fought nor conquered. It must be accepted. It must be obeyed. Whether you realize it or not, you are always obeying your luck whether it is good or bad. I wish I could tell this to the woman who placed me in this bowl. I am the only one of my kind, forced to share my accommodations with a bunch of long skinny guys with thick yellow skins and a couple of perfectly round midgets with bumpy orange flesh. She really should have known I deserved better companions than this, but she didn’t.

She doesn’t even remember I am here. Most of the time, she seems more interested in what is behind the white doors of the large plastic box on the other side of the room. Creams and meats always have more appeal than apples and oranges. She’ll regret it someday, but I shall not be here to see her regret.

I take solace in knowing the duration of this torture will be short. My rosy flesh already softens as I ponder my surroundings. The juicy white flesh underneath begins to brown. My flavor will never be enjoyed. My last moments will probably be spent rotting away in a black plastic bag, but I will know that I could have been so much more if I had attracted the attention of someone who really saw me as the apple of her eye.

As you can see, this apple doesn't have the best view of the world around him. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment