Thursday, June 28, 2012

Two Freaks

The talented Bella slips another one in under the wire. Before you choose to be offended, keep in mind that I love wearing cloaks on an average day, referring to myself in the third person, and dressing up in costume for no reason at all. Enjoy!

Two freaks met and fell in love. How many love stories start like that?

Ours did. I ended a short-lived relationship with yet another man who thought he owned me. Had he thought of it, I would have signed a paper signing away the rights to all my thoughts and feelings. He wanted to possess me that much. It drove him crazy that he couldn’t, so he forced the issue. He started trying to destroy my relationships with everyone around me.

That’s why I ran away. I left my hometown, my friends, my job, and my broken heart behind just to be free of him. I stayed under the radar for a year. I never went out with people from my new job. I lived in fear of making new friends. I barely even left my apartment to pick up food and other essentials.

When a year passed without hearing from my ex, I loosened up a little. I decided to celebrate. I didn’t need a big party. After all, I didn’t have anyone to party with. But I wanted to do something that signified moving on and returning to some semblance of a normal life.

I remembered seeing a coffee shop on the corner. I would be close enough to dash home if I lost my nerve. Besides, a cup of hot chocolate always heals my woes. As I pawed through the few items of jewelry that I brought with me, a spiked collar caught my eye. The words “I thought you’d need a new collar now that you’re free” had been carefully written in my best friend’s handwriting along the inside of the soft, supple leather.

My mother remained the only person I trusted enough to have my address. Occasionally, she sent a care package. She included this gift from Edi in the first shipment though I doubt she knew she’d sent such a thing. Wrapped tightly in shimmering gold foil and silver ribbons, she had no clue. Of course, I reached for the shimmering gift first when I cut open the box.

My smile returned as it had when I ripped off the paper and pulled back the box top. I fumbled with the small buckle, as I wrapped it around my neck. The leather seemed to mold to my skin. I found a black baby tee and black jeans with red flowers painted along the hem. A few swift passes of the brush left my hair smooth and shiny. I grabbed my purse and rushed myself out the door before I could change my mind.

When I reached the coffee shop, I almost didn’t go in. A soft glow came from a single candle on each table, but it looked too gloomy to be open. I checked the sign to make sure. Reassured, I stepped toward the door as a tall man with curly dark hair put his hand on the handle. He wore wrinkled black slacks and a black button-down shirt with the top three buttons undone. Dark eyes met mine as he smiled down at me.

“Nice collar.”

Distracted by his smile, I nodded my head and mumbled. “Thank you.”

“You alone?” His eyes looked up and down the street, looking for anyone else.

I glanced over my shoulder. “Um…yes.”

“Sometimes it gets crowded this late. Want to sit together?”

“Umm…”

“My name is Aaron. I promise not to bite you…” He looked deep into my wide eyes as he paused and leaned closer to whisper. “…unless you beg me to.”

I laughed and the tense bubble around me broke a little. “Okay.”

“I’ll buy if you find us a table.” He offered as he held the door open.

“Sounds good.” I started to walk toward the nearest empty table.

He placed a hand on my shoulder gently. As I turned to him, he shook his head. “Sadly, my ESP is broken. You need to tell me what you want.”

A warm blush colored my cheeks as I said. “Hot cocoa.”

 When he joined me with two cups of foam-topped delight, the look on his face aroused my suspicions. “What did you do to my cocoa?”

“Nothing you won’t like. We can switch if you like.” He reached for my cup.

“No. I’ll trust you.” My heart disagreed as my chest tightened, but I slowly brought to cup to my lips.
I sipped gently, allowing the warm liquid to flow over my tongue. He watched me anxiously.

“Do you like it?”

“Yes. It’s different. What’s in it?”

“Raspberry Italian syrup.” He beamed. “It’s their specialty.”

“It’s delicious.” I took a longer sip, closing my eyes as raspberry and chocolate mingled to create a sweet sensation.

“I should probably answer a few more of your questions.” The table shifted as he leaned closer.

I opened my eyes and gazed into his face. “Such as?”

“I don’t normally hit on girls that I see at the coffee shop. I work as an accountant by day, but I love to play the drums at night.”

I couldn’t think of anything interesting to say in reply. Clearly, he felt differently. He encouraged me with questions. I fired a few back at him, discovering that he had talked to me because I was wearing the collar. Otherwise, he said he’d have been afraid to scare me off by being so forward. I even explained why I chose to wear it. I felt comfortable talking to Dylan. I hadn’t felt so free and so close to anyone in over a year. I didn’t want it to end. By the time we finished talking, my neglected cocoa actually had grown cold. I finished it anyway as he held out his hand to walk me home.

Twenty years and two kids later, I still wear my studded collar from time to time. Edi visits us often. After all, without her, we would never have met. My possessive ex did try to reconnect, but my lack of interest finally convinced him to find another victim. My husband still makes me want to talk for hours, loves my studded necklace, and introducing me to new things, freaky or otherwise. He still plays the drums and, sometimes, I sing along.

I’m glad I found the right freak to fall in love with. I’m even more glad that he loves me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment