Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Secrets of the Boss 8

Part 7

“Wake up, Theresa.” Even that soft voice sends an explosion through my head.

I shiver as I return to consciousness. My eyes open but see nothing. They close and open again. Still they reveal only darkness. A soft keening sound reaches my ears. I quickly realize that the noise reverberates from my own throat. I inhale sharply, holding my breath until the fear fades to a dull ache in the corner of my mind.

“Wake up.” The voice whispers again.

I recognize the voice and my own voice catches in my throat. “Larry?”

“I thought I had this figured out, but it took me most of the day to find you.”

“You’re dead.” I whisper.

“Unless you want to join me, hush up. Let’s get you free.”

“I already tried.” As my eyes open again, they focus on a pale blue glow.

Larry leans in to peer into my eyes. The peculiar light plays along my wrist as his hand passes through my bindings. He shrugs and offers me an embarrassed smile.

“Too bad it can’t be that easy.” His brow knits as he concentrates on my bonds.

“It almost looks like you could slide your hand out of there.”

“I tried…”

“More than one way?” He interrupts.

“There’s only one way.” I demonstrate by pressing my palm flat against the arm of the chair and pulling my hand back until the rope catches under my thumb.

“Slide your thumb in.”

“But I…” I stop protesting as I tuck in my thumb and see the rope sliding further over my hand.

“Come on.” He whispers encouragingly.

I contort my hand until my thumb folds into the center of my palm. I press my wrist as close to the sturdy arm of the chair and gently slide it back. The rope catches on the protruding bone of my wrist. I pull harder and my hand slides into the loop of coarse fiber. The rope tears at the skin of my hand, but with a couple sharp tugs, my hand pulls free. I gasp in surprise, flexing my free hand to get the blood flowing. I loosen the knot holding my other hand with sluggish fingers. As I pull my hand loose, I revel in the moment of freedom.

“Untie your feet.” Larry encourages anxiously.

“I’m going to be disappointed when I wake up.” I mumble as I lean over to free my ankles.

The knots resist my swollen fingers at first, but I finally manage to release my ankles. I bite back an exclamation of pain as internal acupuncture spreads along my feet and ankles.

“Move. You have to get out of here.” Larry reaches out to help me, but his hands pass through me and leave a faint chill in my bones.

With Larry’s voice to bolster me, I stumble toward the large metal door. I grab the handle and pause, afraid to turn it. It turns under my hand and I stumble out onto a deserted street. Empty warehouses loom under the pale glow of a few working streetlights. I shuffle toward a payphone. My heart sinks as I lift the receiver to find that the line has been severed. I drop it back into the cradle.

“What do I do now?” I turn to Larry for ideas but find only an empty street.

Questioning my sanity, I stumble toward the nearest cross street. I look around the corner and see another empty avenue. I keep walking. I cross street after street until I find one with another living human being. Clad in a tight leather skirt and a thin strip of sequined fabric that barely passes for a shirt, she scans the street with a bored expression.

As she notices me, bright, red lips purses. Large eyes framed by thick black liner look me over curiously. I step toward her, feeling my strength fading. As my knees begin to falter, she steps forward to catch me.

She shakes her head. “I’m gonna regret this. Your man did a number on you, baby.”

“I need to…police.” I mumble.

She runs her hands along my pockets. “I hope you have money. I’ll call you a cab, but I ain’t paying for it.”

“Thank you.” I mumble as she gently lowers me to the ground.

My consciousness fades in and out, capturing small moments of time. She slides my wallet back into my pocket. She speaks softly to someone as they lift me into a bright yellow cab.

“This is all I have, baby. Take her to the hospital. That extra twenty should help you forget I was involved.” She leans in to whisper in my ear. “You forget me, too. You hear?”

I nod and mumble another, “Thank you.”


I know. It's only Tuesday, but waiting a whole week just doesn't make sense when I already have this section ready. Now I shall go back to working hard for your amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment