Friday, June 7, 2013

Secrets of the Boss 10

Part 9

The first night with armed guards lounging on my couch passed without event. Even if men in black swarmed the house and filled the walls with bullets, I wouldn’t have noticed. The doctor sent me home with a mild sedative to insure my ability to block out my nightmares, but our definitions of mild clearly differ.

The effects of that one tiny pill follow me into the morning. The new day swirls around me in a haze. Four other cops take turns making sure I don’t trip over my two feet as I stumble through my apartment. When Polsen and Wason return, they find me snuggled up in my bathrobe ready for another drug-induced sleep.

“How did we pull night detail again?” Wason grumbles as I open the door.

He quickly pastes on a smile, shaking his head to discourage his partner from answering.

“Good evening, Miss Holden.” Officer Polsen nods to the officers who flanked me the moment I stepped toward the door but offers them no greeting.

Equally terse, the departing officers don’t even wish me good evening as they step past me. They barely pause to pat their peers on the shoulder on their way out the door. As they reach the parking lot, they regain their voices. Deep voices tease each other as they march toward their unmarked car.

“…Miss Holden?” Officer Polsen waits patiently for my response.

I blush. “Sorry. I’m still a little…”

“I was just suggesting you get some sleep, ma’am. My partner and I picked up those papers you told us about. We’ll go over them and see if we find anything.”

My face scrunches up as I try to remember telling them about the papers Larry left for me. I must have because Officer Wason holds a familiar envelope in his hand. As my eyes wander from the papers to his face, he offers me a smile.

“Things were quiet last night, so we should have plenty of time.”

“Okay. There’s some snacks in the kitchen.”

They step past me into the living room. Their eyes wander over the now familiar room only briefly. Officer Wason gently nudges my hand off of the doorknob so he can close the door.

“Thank you, ma’am. I think my partner’s right.” He nods his head toward my bedroom. “We’ll be right here if you need anything.”

I don’t need more encouragement. I don’t even take the time to wish them a good night. I barely remember to push the door closed before stumbling to the bed and lowering my head to the pillow. My eyes close and dreamlessness claims me.

*

“Wake up, Theresa.”

“No.” I mumble.

“Please. They almost have it, but they don’t see.”

“Huh?” I open my eyes slowly, letting in the blue glow that illuminates Larry’s face.

“Please, Theresa.” He turns away from me, disappearing through the bedroom door.

I push myself up from the bed, grabbing my robe and cinching it tight. As I open the door, three faces 
turn toward me expectantly. Hope brightens the glow around Larry, while the officers faces oscillate from intense scrutiny to worry.

“Is everything okay, ma’am.” Officer Polsen rises from his chair and walks toward me with arms extended as if to catch me.

“Yes, I’m fine, I…”

“It’s very late. We didn’t expect to see you until morning.” He stops just short of me, arms still ready should I falter or fall.

I open my mouth, chasing excuses through my mind until one pops out. “I was thinking about those documents and I wanted to look at them again.”

Officer Wason sets down the paper in his hand and stands up, gesturing to the table. “Please. Any help you can offer.”

I try not to look at Larry, but I can’t help throwing him one helpless confused look before leaning over the papers on the table.

“Tell me you see it.” He says.

I shake my head slightly, trying not to give the officers any reason to take me back to the hospital. I scan through the numbers on the page in front of me. I flip through the pages a couple more times before a pattern emerges through the fog sedating my mind.

“Their profits increase dramatically the third week of every month.”

“That could just be the best week for people who really love to hit the batting cages.” Officer Wason shrugs.

“But it is almost the exact same number every month…even in the winter.”

“That does seem odd for outdoor batting cages.”

“We’ll go take a look when our reinforcements come in the morning. Go back to bed.”

With that dismissal, I glance toward where Larry lingered. Only the officers remain at my side. I shrug and stumble back into my bedroom.


~~~
A day (and night) late. We do seem to be moving toward something interesting, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment