Tuesday, January 28, 2014

[REVIEW] Graceland: A Novel

In order to keep my library card active not to mention my mind, I decided to begin checking out the books in the fiction section of my local library. I started with the very first book. Of course, I reserve the right to skip any book that has the appearance of a trashy romance novel. I may reject other novels that fail other as yet unspecified criteria.

My careful selection process landed the book Graceland: A Novel by Chris Abani. First, I should warn potential readers that I did skim past some sections that contained content that was a little too adult for me. While I am sure those scenes actually added to the story Abani tells, I found them disturbing.

The story follows a young man named Elvis as he struggles to survive in Lagos, Nigeria. Surrounded by characters with names such as Redemption, Sunday, Comfort, and Blessing, he needs all the promises offered by these names to survive in a harsh environment. Despite his own hardships, he finds time to help those around him.

The book, as a whole, made me realize again how much we take for granted. Most of us have more than enough to eat. We can find jobs if we look for them. Our families encourage us and help us to do our best. We don't look to a government that changes from military to civilian almost in the blink of an eye to guide us.

It also reminded me how important family can be. The main character clings to the scraps of memory he has of his mother to remind himself of who he is. He even intersperses recipes and information about indigenous plants between segments of the story.

After evaluating one of these recipes, I decided to make my own version. I didn't know what some of the ingredients were, so I substituted items. I also think I simplified the recipe by cutting out a step and using one less pan. I was surprised that my resulting meal was actually tasty, so feel free to give it a try.



SWEET POTATO SALMON SOUP (makes 2 servings)



3 tsp olive oil
1 frozen salmon burger (If you decide to use fresh fish, you may need to add salt.)
2 cups water
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
pinch of curry
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup frozen spinach
1/2 cup frozen chopped okra

1. Pour olive oil into medium saucepan. Heat. Add salmon burger. Allow to cook.
2. When fully cooked, cut into small pieces. Add the rest of the ingredients. Let come to a boil.
3. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Sweet potatoes should be slightly soft.
4. Spoon into bowl and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment