Monday, January 22, 2018

Person One or Two? [FICTION]

Riding the bus filled me with fear, but I boarded the late night bus to the next town over. I hoped it would be worth it if I caught my best friend before her flight to Paris. Despite the late hour, only one seat remained open. The man in the adjoining seat winked as I sat down. He proffered a drink in a faded red Thermos. Had the coffee stain around the rim not deterred me, the aroma of fermented grain wafting from him would have. I shook my head and scooted to the far edge of my seat.

He smiled broadly and took a swig before initiating conversation in slurred syllables, “There are two kinds of people in this world.” He paused to wipe his nose with his already stained sleeve. “Those who live life and those who don’t.”

I raised my eyebrows but didn’t offer a response, hoping my silence would encourage his. He continued. “I can tell you don’t live life. Now me, I live life. That’s why I am on this bus. I am living my life—making every night and day an adventure.”

I leaned away and closed my eyes. He poked my arm. My eyes flew open to inspect crud under long, ragged fingernails as he withdrew his hand.

“People who live life don’t snooze on buses. They listen to the tales of their fellow passengers and are inspired or cautioned by them.” He nodded at this unquestionable wisdom. “Want to hear my tale of caution?”

“No.” I mumbled sullenly.

“Then you need to hear it more than I thought, son.” He leaned in, blowing enough potent fumes in my face to make me worry about my blood alcohol levels. “You need to start living life, so you don’t end up like me—an old sod on a bus, waiting for someone to sit next to them and listen to their laments.”

Something in his eyes, reminded me of my father. My heart softened. I still leaned away from him, but I waved my hand in reluctant surrender. “I’ve got time to listen. I guess.”

His smile returned. “When I was young, the booze hadn’t got me yet. I was well-groomed and didn’t have too much trouble with the ladies. Of course, my passion at the time was travel and a woman holds you back, you know?”

He paused to let me respond but hurried on when I only slightly inclined my head. As he regaled me with tales of women and opportunities that tried to convince him to stop living life, he reminded me less of my father. My attention strayed. I didn’t tune back in to his tirade until he tapped me lightly on the arm.

“Sorry, son, the time for talking is over. I have a life to live.”

“Huh?” I asked as he stumbled over my legs.

“Life calls!” He declared enthusiastically.

I shied away from the look in his eyes as he lurched to the front of the bus.

The driver noticed him in the mirror and quickly pulled over to the side of the road. “Right on schedule, Tommy.”

My traveling companion bounded down the stairs, calling out some string of gibberish that meant volumes more than I would ever understand. As his feet touched the gravel by the side of the road, he removed his coat. Snowflakes swirling down around him didn’t discourage him as he peeled off his shirt.

“Enjoy your night.” The bus driver called out as he closed the door and pulled away from the side of the road.


Through the back window of the bus, I could see Tommy dancing shirtless in the snow as he lived life. I shivered and resolved to live life more warmly than that even if it meant a stranger on the bus would judge me.
~~~

Hope you're enjoying the stories of 2018. Please feel free to leave love, encouragement, and feedback in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment