Monday, February 26, 2018

Meet Me Where? [FICTION]


The phone rings. I roll over and put it to my ear. “Yes?”

“Lucille?”

I sigh. “Call me Lucy, Chuck.”

A heavier sigh echoes mine. I picture him gritting his teeth. “Call me Charles. We are not characters from ‘Peanuts’.”

I giggle sleepily. “Fine, Charles, what do you need?” I glance at the clock and hastily add. “At this hour.”

“I need your help, right now, at the corner of Leaf and Vine.”

The address registers in my sleepy mind but fails to complete the circuit. “Leaf and Vine?”

“Just get here quick.”

The phone goes silent. I roll over and close my eyes. The street names echo through my head, denying me entrance to sleep and dragging me from my bed. I rise slowly, fumbling for the wad of clothes on the floor. As I slip them on, I yawn and stretch. I step into the bathroom, not bothering to turn on the light. I raise my brush and realize I still wear an amethyst cowl over my blond locks. I giggle as I remove it and fix my hair.

Soon I am standing on the corner of Leaf and Vine, remembering the significance of this intersection. A large warehouse looms empty over the deserted street. I recognize Chuck’s old yellow Jetta with the black scratch down the driver’s side. I kick the door gently on my way by and step into the dark interior of the warehouse.

My entrance triggers a sensor and soft pink light suffuses the air. In the pulsating glow, I see Chuck’s bald dome gleaming below me in the sunken interior of the warehouse. Metallic clanging fills the air as I hurry down the stairs. Reaching the lower level, I can see the glittery purple goop that has his shoes and ankles pinned to the ground. He wears a tight yellow, spandex unitard with black underwear on the outside and an equally tight shirt, which reveals muscles I never expected on wimpy little Chuck. A black mask covers his head except for his eyes, lips, and bald head.

“Oh, Chuck, what have you got yourself into?”

“I don’t know what it is. I just need you to find a way to get me out.”

I ignore his request. “What brought you to this place anyway?”

“I think you can guess.”

“I could, but I want to know for sure.”

“I’m the Bald Barrier. I’ve been moonlighting for a year now and I think I finally found the Purple Panic’s lair, but she set a booby trap. Just get me free.”

“Sorry, Chuck.” I grin. “I can’t help you.”

“Just pull me out.”

“But then you’ll foil my plan.”

“Your plan?”

“Sorry, Chuck. I have to keep creating purple panic.”

I lean over to push a button, which releases more of the scintillating purple goo until it buries Charles up to his hips. 

“I’m going to have to step out now, Chuck. This is no reflection on our friendship. I just can’t let you ruin my master plan.”

“Lucy, please.”

I give him a reassuring smile. “It’ll be quick from here.”

I depress the button again and pull my headphones from my pocket. As music pours into my ears to block out the sound of his voice, I wave one last goodbye and head for the door.

I hope you enjoyed this week's contribution to the online literary world. Feel free to leave accolades, moral support, and love in the comments. And have a fantastic week.

No comments:

Post a Comment