Friday, May 29, 2020

Strange Fare [FICTION]

I pull up to my favorite high school haunt and peer up at the two-story red brick building. Hidden behind those thick walls are all the books I ever thought I would read as a child. A small county like ours could only sustain one library, so I assumed it held every book every written. I peer out the window, surveying the few patrons lingering outside the edifice of knowledge. I try to guess which one called for a taxi.

A tall blonde wearing a heavy coat despite the unseasonable warmth glances at me and then returns to smoking a cigarette while yelling into a battered cell phone. Even with my windows rolled up, I can almost make out her words. I shake my head and look again. 

My next contestant wears tight black pants and an equally snug t-shirt over his slender body. He takes a tentative dance step to the left and another to the right before realizing the music in his earbuds made its way down to his toes and set them tapping. He glances at me, flushes and turns away. No dance parties in my cab today.

My third option glares at me over her horn-rimmed glasses as she pulls keys out of her pocket and heads toward a parked car. I ponder her spiky blonde hair as she walks away. Then I turn my eyes toward the door of the library. As I wait impatiently for the doors to open and reveal my customer, the back door of the cab opens.

I whip around to stare at a little girl. On second glance, I decide she might barely be a teenager. She offers an impish grin.

“You got here quick. That’s good.” She begins, continuing with barely a moment to take a breath as I gape at her. “A man should be coming out of Joe’s Café any minute now. I need you to follow him.”

“Look here, little girl, if you don’t have a parent with you…”

She cuts me off, “I have money. See.” She holds up a wad of bills.

I glance at the meter and then at her youthful face. “I can’t do it, kid.”

“Would it change your mind if I told you something my uncle Gabe told me about you?” Her impish grin widens.

My face pales. “Give me your home address first.”

“Why?” Her smile fades and her eyes narrow.

“So I can take you home it if starts to get dangerous.” I reply, seriously pondering just taking her straight there, but she has piqued my curiosity.

She ponders this, gnawing her lower lip before nodding. “Good plan.”

She rattles off her home address. My mind notes that she resides a few doors down from my childhood best friend, her uncle Gabe. 

“There he is.” She slouches down in the backseat as I turn to look.

“Isn’t that your dad?” I can’t stop myself from asking as I see Gabe’s brother Trent step out of the café with a white paper bag in his hand.
“Yes. Follow him.” She whispers as if he might hear her.

“Alright.” I watch until he turns the corner and follow carefully, trying to keep distance between myself and my target.

After a few turns, he turns around and steps into the street. I slide into a nearby driveway and look toward the front of the house to give the appearance of waiting for a fare.

“What are you doing? You’re going to lose him.” The girl hisses from the floor behind me.

“I doubt that.” I reply as I turn my head just enough to see Trent headed toward the taxi.

He motions for me to roll down the window and I do so reluctantly.

“Lars, man, did you need something?” He calls.

“Just waiting for a passenger,” I feign nonchalance.

“Looks like you have one.” He grins and opens the back door, “Myra, what are you up to now?”

“I’m not Myra.” She asserts boldly.

I peer over the seat to see her hiding her face behind her backpack, which has her name emblazoned on it in glittery letters.

“I think he’s got you there, girl. Best fess up.” I counsel.

“I just wanted to know where you go before you come home?”

“Oh you do, do you?” Trent smiles and holds out his hand. “Then you should come with me.”

She takes his hand and scoots out of the backseat.

“We will get you some answers after you pay Lars for his trouble.” He pauses. “And tip well.”

I tell her how much she owes. She dutifully peels off a few bills to pay the fare and couple extra for me. 

“Hey, Trent, what if I want to know the answer to the mystery?” I call out before he can close the door.

“Cover your ears, honey.” He tells Myra.

“But, dad.”

“I don’t want to spoil the surprise.” 

She frowns but covers her ears.

Trent leans over to whisper to me, “Gabe and I have been working on a dollhouse for her. We’re almost finished.”

“So what’s in the bag?” I ask.

“Energy from the best donuts in the county."

I nod understanding and Trent taps Myra on the shoulder to get her attention.
She takes her dad’s hand, peeking curiously at the paper bag. I watch them amble down the street a few seconds before backing out of the driveway and heading back to my own house in anticipation of my next call to action.

~~~
Hope this Friday finds you all well. I also hope it brightens your day and fills you with hope. The world is still filled with good. Go be that good...

No comments:

Post a Comment