Friday, January 29, 2021

Got No Problems [FICTION]

 I stand up and clear my throat to repeat the same opening sentence as every other lost soul who takes the podium in this dingy church basement. “I have a little bit of a problem. I like to eat candy in my closet while the children try to find me.” As others nod in understanding, I continue telling my version. “It all started when my children discovered they loved chocolate because my husband shared a Twix with them.

“I told him not to do it, but he said it was mean not to let them know about foods more delicious than green beans and macaroni and cheese. So he let them split a Twix, not a fun size Twix—a FULL SIZE bar. He gave one of them the right Twix and the other one the left Twix.”


More heads nod reassuringly and I go on, “So I joined this support group for tired moms, so I can eat my candy and my donuts at my leisure, while my husband stays home with the kids. Don’t worry, I gave them each a Twix, two whole bars for each of them in one shiny wrapper before I left.” 


I grin. The other mom’s grin with me and applause fills the small room though only eight moms escaped to attend this week’s meeting.


~Clearly, I am addicted to all things candy. I may have still been working on leftover Halloween candy when I originally wrote this piece. Or it could have been yesterday and I may have actually been hiding from the children I love in a closet. We’ve all done it, right?~


No comments:

Post a Comment