Friday, June 17, 2022

Happy Father’s Day [FICTION]

“I’d love to come over, but my dad just asked for the most complicated cake for Father’s Day.”

Addison sighs on her end of the phone. “Grace…”

“I know I promised, but this will take me all weekend.”

“What kind of cake is it?” 

Inspiration strikes. “Come on over and find out.”

I race into the kitchen, digging through my recipes for a couple of cakes, my favorite fudge brownies, two cheesecakes, and cherry pie. By the time Addison arrives, I have them carefully laid out on the counter. I also have a shopping list that could take me half a day to fill.

~

“Why do you have so many recipe cards out?” Addison looks suspiciously at my selections. “You said he told you what he wanted. Why are you still deciding?”


“Well, he couldn’t exactly decide. Then I saw some videos on social media…”

“Oh. You should never watch those.”

“I know, but now he doesn’t have to decide what type of cake he wants. He just has to find a dozen friends to help him eat the twenty-five pound monstrosity I am going to make.”

“Fine. Tell me about it.”

I describe three layers of delicious— cheesecake in a chocolate cake, cherry pie in a French vanilla cake, and caramel cheesecake in a rich fudge brownie.

“That is insane…”

“And will be insanely delicious…”

“You are going to get the daughter of the year award…”

“I always do.” We grin at each other since I am an only child.

“Think you can sneak me a piece for my dad?”

“Only if you help me with this.”

“We could use my kitchen,” Addison offers.

“Um, no.”

“Come on. You have to make up with Bianca sometime.”

“Nope.”

“He chose you.”

“Yeah, but she still tried to steal him from me.”

She nods and picks up my shopping list. ‘Well, then we better get to work on this so I can finally knock her off her pedestal as best daughter.”

~~

We spend the next two days working on the masterpiece. Each filling needs baked and cooled. Then carefully inserted into a cake and baked again. After more cooling, I realize I forgot to decide on a frosting to hold the layers together. We agree on a mix of fudge and white chocolate fudge frosting.

We apply the final layer and smooth it out. I step back to get a better look.

“I don’t think it is going to hold up…” Addison whispers.

“I was afraid of that, but I have these,” I whisper back as I open the cabinet where I hid blue baker’s boxes. “We are going to slice it and divvy it up. That way my dad will never know I paid you in cake.”

“And my father’s love?”

“I can only hope.” I smile at her.


“Want to come see Bianca’s face?”

“Nope. Take a picture. Today is about our dads. I will worry about your sister on Halloween.”

She raises an eyebrow.

“Everyone knows she is a witch.”

~~

As my dad open the pastry box, his eyes widen. “I can’t believe it.”

“Yeah?” I grin at him.

“This is the best—everything I wanted…”

“So I am still your favorite?”

“Always.” He reached out with his free arm to pull me into a powerful half hug.

“I see you made plenty so I can share with the boys.” He eyes the pile of boxes.

“You know I wouldn’t let you down. Your annual Father’s Day poker tournament goes better with refreshments.”

“Yeah. Though I might not share with the guys trying to up the ante with this year’s tie.” He grins and dips a for into one of the layers of cake.

His eyes roll back in delight as the flavors explode on his tongue.



~~Yes, I realized it as I was typing. There is a deeper story here. I know. I should explore it and expand it. I need to find the time. I should pick my friend’s brain who has finished three novels in a year (among other projects I just learned of today), but I don’t want to stop her flow. Send me PM if you like Jane Austin and I will give you more information.~~


No comments:

Post a Comment