Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Unexpected Encounters [FICTION]

I leaned back to take in the last rosy moments of the sun settling into the ocean. I deserved this moment of peace and beauty. I earned every second of my three day vacation. My boss filled every workday with a million little tasks. Most of them were performed by me, but the intent was to take her beyond our small town six o’clock news hour. She was so close to her goal that I needed this recharge before she launched her spring season of sensational sightings. I took a deep breath and another sip of lemonade and let the warm, salted breeze blow all thoughts of work from my mind. Moments later, my eyes opened as a sharp noise pulled me from reverie.

My eyes rested on a couple sitting three tables away. The contrast between their heights and her blond hair and his dark locks struck me first. Then I noticed how they smiled at each other as they held hands. 


They turned to observe the glorious sunset over my shoulder. I gasped as recognition gave name to the woman—Kelly Ripa, the television personality my boss wished she was. Her eyebrow raised as our eyes met like she recognized me as well. She frowned. At least, her ingratiating smile flattened a little as she looked at me. (I am not sure she knows how to smile, which is one of many reasons she is perfect for her job.) She leaned in to whisper to her husband. His eyes surveyed me quickly and turned back to her as he leaned in to whisper emphatically in her ear. Her eyes met mine again as she shook her head in disagreement to whatever he said. With one more glance over his shoulder, he took her hand and guided her out of the restaurant.


Shaking my own head, I closed my eyes and went back to soaking the last warm rays of the day into my skin. When I opened them a half hour later, I blinked in surprise to find all light gone from the sky. My phone pinged to remind me that I had signed up for a night tour of the bay. I rushed to the nearby dock, joining the queue of tourists. Most held hands with the one by their side, but I felt no shame in taking this romantic ride alone. You gotta love yourself before you can love anyone else, right?


Two stewards in carefully pressed white uniforms helped us into life vests before allowing us to step onto the gangway. As we boarded, the captain suggested we stand along the railings, so we could see the city lights better. Surrounded by swooning couples, I kept my eyes on the shoreline, watching the lights bob up and down with every swell of the tides. As the boat drew further from the shore, the couple to my left stepped away from the railing. I glanced up curiously as another couple shifted into that space. My mouth dropped to find Kelly Ripa and her husband now standing at my side. He smiled politely. Her eyes narrowed for a second before she turned back to the view. I frowned but decided to ignore it. 


“And now a special surprise,” the captain announced.


All necks swiveled curious eyes toward him. He pointed up at the starry sky above. As our eyes followed his direction, the sky exploded in blossoming fireworks. Gasps filled the air between pops of promised color. As a particularly colorful spray filled the sky above us, the water swelled and the boat  bucked under our feet. I reached for the railing, but a body slammed into me before I could get a good hold, knocking me over the rail.


A familiar voice called out anxiously, “Woman overboard,” as the sea rose up to meet me and pull me under.


I sputtered in fear before realizing the buoyancy of my life vest had lifted me back to the surface. I took in deep breaths, trying to calm myself, while I waited for rescue. The stewards worked together to pull me back on board the boat as the last of the fireworks lit up the ship. Shivering and dripping brine, I scanned the faces of my fellow travelers. Most stared back at me with concern, but my attention fixated on Kelly who seemed to be arguing with her husband.


The stewards wrapped me in a thick, coarse blanket and held me steady as the captain turned the boat around. I heard voices around me, but none of the words broke through my suspicion that my dip in the bay wasn’t totally an accident. Upon arriving on shore, the stewards rushed me to a waiting ambulance to be checked out before returning to help others disembark. As I got poked and prodded, I watched my fellow passengers—most of whom failed to conceal their own attention to my condition.


As Kelly’s husband guided her down the gangway, two pairs of eyes lighted unabashedly on my bedraggled person. Arm in arm, they slowly approached. As the paramedic turned to them, her jaw dropped.


“Kelly Ripa?”


“Yes.” Kelly admitted with a shy smile before looking at me with wide, concerned eyes. “How’s the patient?”


Despite being star struck, the paramedic remembered herself, “I can’t really tell you that.” But she did turn pleading eyes to me, imploring me to let her answer the question anyway.


My eyes narrowed as I looked at Kelly, but I magnanimously offered, “You can tell me. If she hears…” I shrugged my shoulders.


“You seem to be alright, but I strongly suggest you get a round of antibiotics at the hospital,” she wrinkled her nose a little as her eyes roved over the wet hair plastered to my forehead and the newly unimproved color of my once white blouse.


“Is it okay if we have a moment with the patient?” Kelly’s husband asked as he turned a lovingly reproving look at his wife.


“Of course,” the paramedic eyed me with curiosity and envy before stepping away from the back of the ambulance to give us space.


I bit back the accusation building on my tongue as Kelly turned her eyes to me. Up close, they proved kinder than I ever imagined them while watching her show.


“I’m so sorry I knocked you into the water,” she offered softly.


My mouth dropped open, releasing a soft squeaking noise.


“I recognized you from your picture on your boss’s social media and when the ship bounced, I thought you were about to attack. My self-defense training kicked in…” she wrung her hands as she gazed into my eyes.


“My boss’s social media?” My mouth and mind latched onto that part of her explanation.


“Yes, after she sent me a couple weird letters, I looked her up.” Kelly answered defensively.


“She sent you letters?”


“Yeah. Talking about how she couldn’t wait to take over Live and meet so many important and famous people.”


Marc nodded his head. “The first one was awkwardly flattering, but the three that followed sounded a little scary.”


“Hence me reviewing my self defense training,” Kelly smiled at me for a moment before she turned downcast eyes to her feet, encased in sparkling blue heels.


I stared at them for a moment while I processed all of this. “Usually, I send out her letters…”


“I don’t think she would want someone else to read these,” Marc put an arm protectively around Kelly’s shoulders.


As I looked at them questioningly, they exchanged a glance.


“After they make sure you are okay, come find us in room 212. We will show you what we mean.”


~~~


That’s how I met one of my boss’s heroes, who had a restraining on her for reasons validated by the stack of letters they handed me in room 212. That is also how I ended up quitting my job and searching for a new one. Something tells me the resume and letter of inquiry I sent to Live with Kelly Ripa will go straight to the trash can, but maybe I will be wrong again.





~~~


Not sure why I have been struggling with my posts the past couple of weeks. Maybe I need a writer’s vacation? Want to help me fund one?

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun read. I love "detective stories" and books that have some "learning events" in them. Good job!

    ReplyDelete