Thursday, June 8, 2023

Déjà June [FICTION]

Another day. Another bride. White flowers. Perfectly draped bunting. Double check with the minister. Last minute encouragement to both the bride and her shy flower girl. Cue the music. Watch the happy couple take turns walking down the aisle. Tears flow. Hugs are exchanged. Off to the reception.

This morning as I anticipated the perfection of this day, I realized that being a wedding planner sapped the romance from my own life. If I don’t get it back, will I be able to help my customers have the perfect day they deserve? I am still contemplating this as my assistant Evelyn and I supervise the wedding reception from a tiny table against the wall.

As we share a toast of sparkling white grape juice, Evelyn places her hand over mine. “You okay today, Wendy?”

I force a smile. “Of course. We created another happily married bride.”

“Yet something’s off.”

I shrug.

“You know what you need?”

“Another slice of cake?”

“No, someone to sweep you off your feet.”

“I create the illusion of a Hallmark movie. I don’t need to live in one.”

“Ah. Come on. It will make you love weddings again.” She smiles and wiggles the fingers on her left hand at me.

Her engagement ring catches the light in all the right ways. I grin a little as I remember how excited she was to tell me that I would finally be planning her wedding. And here she sits, still beaming like a new bride five years later.

“Maybe you’re right,” I huff, “But that isn’t going to make a man appear out of the woodwork to whisk me off to the land of love.”

“About that.” She grins as she looks over my shoulder and leans in to whisper discretely. “Someone has been watching you all evening and I think he has finally decided to make his move.”

“Huh?”

Before she does more than grin back at me, someone clears their throat behind me.

“I better go check on that second piece of cake for you,” Evelyn pats my hand again before she disappears.

I turn around to face the brother of the bride. My brows furrow as I look at him. My heart flutters a little because his face reminds me of classic movie star, but my stomach grumbles worriedly because I am certain I have at least a decade on him.

“Wendy, right?” He asks.

“Um, yes.” I can’t stifle the apprehension in my voice.

“You put together a lovely wedding for my sister.”

The apprehension calms down—surely, he just wants to thank me for making his sister’s dreams come true. It is rarely the brother who feels compelled to do so but not unreasonable. “Thank you. She knew what she wanted, which always makes it easier.”

“How about you? Do you know what you want?”

Confused, I laugh gently, putting both hands over my heart as if it needs protection.

His lips turn up at the corner, and he holds out his hand to me. I reach out to shake it as he asks, “I was hoping it wouldn’t be inappropriate to ask you to dance.”

He takes my hand and I forget to speak, but he hears my consent. Despite the slow pace of the song, the words don’t invoke romance.

“I’m Forrest, btw,” he introduces himself.

I snicker.

“Please, don’t say it.” He smiles at me but his eyes narrow slightly.

“Say what?” I ask innocently.

“If you say it, I will…” he grins and winks at me.

“We wouldn’t want that, would we?”

“I hope not. Give a guy a chance.”

“Sure.” I return his smile and lean a little further into the dance.

By the time he returns me to my table, Evelyn has returned with three slices of cake. “Please join us.” She gestures between Forrest and the third slice of cake.

I glare at her as Forrest turns to smile at his sister and new brother-in-law dominating the dance floor. She sticks her tongue out in return.

“You said you wanted a second piece of cake.”

I glare at her one more time. By the time, Forrest turns his attention back to us, I already have a healthy bite in my mouth. He peers at what is left of my cake, jabs his fork into his own healthy bite, and salutes me with it before It disappears into his mouth.


~~~


Romance isn’t really my thing, but I could eke out some more romance—a veritable Hallmark movie—if you wanted. Just let me know :)


No comments:

Post a Comment