Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bring Me to Life

Aside from being a rocking song by Evanescence (insert shameless advertising here), this seems to be what my characters scream at me the longer I work on my nanowrimo. Of course, once I begin doing so, I realize I need to review my previous work to make sure it all meshes. Clearly, I will never reach the finish line like this. This requires some drastic action on my part. I must remind myself again and again that...

...I will have a whole year to fix it if I break it because I don't remember every detail.
...I will be much more charming to live with if I meet my goal of 50,000 words though I linger under 25,000 and the month is already halfway over.
...my characters will have a more enriched life when my brain reveals exactly where they are going and why. I know I am not alone in realizing halfway through the second half of the story (3/4 of the way through) that those two characters, whom I thought were going to have a happily ever after, were never meant to be together in the first place.
...sometimes my characters have to speak for themselves. I need to stop trying to tell the readers, only me at this point, exactly how they are thinking or what they are about to do.
...someone out there really wants to see the finished product because they have faith it will be awesome.

Keep writing with me, reading with me, and most of all commiserating with me as I go searching for words in the mess of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment