Thursday, July 19, 2012

Break My Heart: Part 3

I thought this story was finished, but a comment from a friend made me realize this story had more to tell. My mind is debating where it shall go, so here is a snippet to get your mind moving forward. Happy birthday week to me. Please eat some cake, but eat responsibly.


As I tucked my creation back into the gift box, someone softly cleared their throat. I looked up to find a tall, lanky man smiling shyly down at me. As my eyes rested on his face, a soft pink flush infused his cheeks. He glanced away, back to my face, and then down at his hands.

“Yes?” I offered a single word like a lifeline.

“It appears we have the same problem.” The color in his cheeks deepened as he looked at me through his eyelashes.

My brows furrowed as I waited for him to elaborate. He wiped his hands nervously on his slacks before continuing.

“We both seem to be dining alone.”

“I didn’t notice.” I offered a smile that I hoped would prove discouraging.

“I was hoping maybe we could…” He shrugged his shoulders, waiting for me to fill in the details for myself.

I raised an eyebrow.

“I'll buy if you allow me to join you for dinner.”

“I’m not really looking for a date…” A sour note crept into my words.

“I didn’t mean a date. I just don’t like to eat alone.” His words tumbled over each other as he took a step backward. “I’m sorry. I’ll just go back to my seat.”

“Wait.” I gestured toward the chair across from mine. “Please have a seat.”

“It’s not a date.” He reassured me as he pulled out the chair and sat down. “My name is William, by the way.”

“I’m Winnie.” We shook hands quickly, pulling our hands apart in confused silence.

The waiter helped break the silence when he delivered my onion fries. He looked at my new eating companion in confusion for only a second before producing silverware from his pocket and taking our orders.

“So, William, what should we talk about?” I asked as the waiter walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment