Thursday, July 26, 2012

Break My Heart: Part 4

Happy birthday to at least one of my readers. Here is a little more of the adventures of Winnie and clay hearts. I hope you enjoy. Feel free to leave comments right below this very entry!

“I’m disappointed in you, people. I made sure every station has a stylus for a reason. Be creative. Add a little zest to your next piece. Redeem yourselves. Show me your creativity.” As he concluded another impassioned speech, the teacher dropped his hands, which accented every word with a sweeping flourish.

As his voice faded, we all leaned over our work. I experimentally etched a swirl in a piece of clay before kneading the clay between my hands. As I rolled it out, Maribel scooted closer to me, working her own clay with strong hands.

“So did he like it?” She stage whispered.

I shook my head. “He didn’t even see it.”

Clay slapped the counter as she turned her full attention to me. “Oh no. What happened?”

“He broke up with me before we even ordered dinner.”

“You’re kidding?” Her mouth formed a round “O” of consternation.

“Nope.” I looked down at the thin sheet of clay awaiting my creative impressions.

“Did you have dinner together after that?”

“He said his mom was right and it was over. Then he walked out before I could respond.”

“That’s cold. What did you do?”

“I was already there so I ordered dinner.”

“I don’t think I’d be able to have dinner alone at a restaurant, especially not after breaking up with my boyfriend.” She shook her head softly.

“That’s the funny thing. A guy asked to join me for dinner. He got stood up and didn’t want to eat alone.” I felt my lips turn upward.

“So did you let him join you?”

“Of course. He said he’d pay.”  A soft laugh followed the words from my mouth.

“It sounds like you had more fun eating dinner with a stranger than you would have with Janson.” 
Mirabel offered with a suggestive chuckle as she gently etched a pattern in the clay before her.

“I had fun, but...” I sighed.

“You aren’t ready to start a new relationship.”

“That and I just don’t feel attracted to this guy.” Mirabel nodded as I continued. “But we’re going to see a movie this weekend.”

“Oh, really?” The mischievous twinkle returned to her eyes.

“Oh please.” I rolled my eyes and balled up a little scrap of clay to toss at her.

She laughed as it splatted against her counter. As the teacher turned toward us, we resumed shaping clay in earnest.

~~

“There you are.” William peered over the heads of the couples between us.

“Yes. Here I am.” A warm blush crept up my cheeks as I skirted around two of the couples to meet him.

“I’ve got your ticket. Now we just need to get some popcorn. You do like popcorn, don’t you?”

“Of course.”

“Butter?”

I nodded as a group of teenage boys pushed past us bumping me into William. He reached out a hand to steady me and quickly drew it back.

“What type of candy and soda do you want?” He surveyed the specials on the board.

“Just water. I don’t need candy.”

“Nonsense. What woman doesn’t want candy during a movie?” He elbowed me slightly so I would look up at his face. He wiggled his eyebrows and winked.

I laughed. “Peanut M&Ms then.”

“An excellent choice.”

He relayed our order to girl behind the counter, passing me my drink and the candy as he grabbed the popcorn and his soda. I followed him closely as we walked down a maze of hallways to our theater. 
We found a couple of seats in the middle and sat down.

He smiled as he offered me some popcorn. “I should have asked you this before…”

“Yes?” I asked as he paused.

“You’re not going to talk through the whole movie, are you?”

I snorted. “Only if you do.”

“Good. I love reserving my most meaningful conversations for the movie theater.”

“Me, too. I think the people around me enjoy it.” I winked at him as the lights dimmed and we turned our attention to the previews flashing across the screen.

About halfway through the movie, he leaned over to whisper in my ear. “You really shouldn’t talk so much.”

I shook my head and stifled a laugh. He didn’t lean away. Instead, he bumped his elbow against mine and reached for my hand. As I turned to him in the glow of the movie screen, I could tell he felt what I felt. He released my hand and we leaned away from each other.

When the movie ended, I got up from my seat without looking back to see if he followed.

“Should we talk?” His voice rumbled through my own jumbled thoughts.

My head jerked upward in surprise. “I never meant…”

“I know. I know.” He reassured me. “I figured as much, but I wanted to be sure before I said anything.”

“So where do we go from here?”

“We don’t have to date. Want to try the illusive boy/girl friendship?”

“We could try that.”

“How about grabbing some ice cream, my friend?” He offered me his elbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment