Thursday, October 24, 2013

[REVIEW] [RECIPE] Veins


Upon meeting Lawrence C. Connelly, one instantly realizes that the life he breathes into his characters flows through him. Of course, I met him before I got a chance to read any of his pieces. Since he guest lectured for my writer's group, we got to hear him tell a story off the top of his head. I expected great things from this novel. My expectations were exceeded.

This novel carries us through time to see the connection between the characters, the past, the present, and even hints of the future. They cannot exist without each other and some cannot live because of each other. While the main characters basically stalk each other through coal country, something else stalks all of them. To find out what, you'll just have to read it. To find out why, you'll have to read the next couple of novels in the series. (I want to start reading the second one immediately, but I have a different book slated for this final week.)


Coconut Coal Mine Cookies

Honestly, I chose this name for these cookies so they would tie into the novel. I found this recipe this month and figured I should use it to my advantage. Of course, you know I altered the original recipe for my own devious reasons. When you get out of rehab for the nanaimo bars, you can go into rehab for these babies. (I may have a coconut problem.)

2 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 c coconut
Rolos, unwrapped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Microwave 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips for 3 to 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Add brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
4. Add flour and baking powder to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
5. Add coconut and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
6. Scoop out half of dough into 1 tsp round balls.
7. Press Rolo into each cookie ball.
8. Scoop out rest of dough in 1 tsp round balls to cover the first balls and Rolos.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
10. Allow to cool a little, so you don't burn your tongue.
11. As always, have fun in rehab.

No comments:

Post a Comment