Saturday, November 2, 2013

[REVIEW] [RECIPE] Silver Borne

My last book of the season features werewolves, shapeshifters, and fae. With nanowrimo berating me for having too few words, I don't think I shall finish it by tonight, so I shall comment on the first two thirds of the book.
Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs follows a cookie-baking, shapeshifting mechanic named Mercy, short for Mercedes. The author has carefully crafted her werewolf mythology but works on the assumption that people have read other books in the series, so I feel like I am playing catch-up. I wonder if readers of an ongoing series would appreciate optional prologues that sum up what they may have missed or forgotten from the previous books...

Anyway, as I unravel underlying facts about the world in which the characters live, I find myself more intrigued by the characters and more invested in seeing them survive the perils that plague them. Hopefully, the promise in the words I have read plays through to the end.

Keep reading, my friends.


Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies

I saw this recipe posted somewhere. I think my standard chocolate chip cookies are far better, but you can try it for yourself.

1 1/8 c whole wheat flour
1 1/8 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 c butter, softened
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
1 (3.4 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding
2 eggs at room temp
1 tsp vanillla
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine whole wheat flour, flour, and baking soda in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream butter until fluffy.
4. Add brown sugar and sugar and continue to beat until creamy.
5. Add the vanilla pudding mix.
6. Add eggs and vanilla, one at a time.
7. Add flour mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
8. Stir in chocolate chips.
9. Scoop out cookies onto silpat (or parchment paper) covered cookie sheets and bake for 11 minutes.
10. Allow to cool, if you can, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment