Thursday, January 1, 2015

The 50s Housewife Experiment

I may still be in recovery from the cancellation of "Gilmore Girls". Luckily, I have the whole series on DVD so I can relive the finest moments over and over again. One of those memorable episodes featured Rory dressing up like a 50s housewife for a date, complete with pearls. She greeted Dean at the door and proceeded to do her best impression of Donna Reed. She greeted him and ushered him in for a home-cooked meal. While our impressions of that time come from television and clips of articles advising women to wait patiently for the return of their husband because he is their world, we can take away some useful tips from these articles that tend to set off the feminists. As part of my 50s Housewife Experiment, I want to work on doing the following:

1. Have dinner ready. I have this one covered. I usually have dinner ready or close to ready when my husband arrives. I realize not everyone has the good fortune of being a stay at home spouse or partner, but slow cookers and preparing meals ahead of time so that you just need to warm them up can help with this.
2. Make myself presentable before my husband's arrival. I have a tendency to greet my husband in whatever grubby t-shirt I've been wearing all day and equally grungy jeans. I sometimes wonder if wearing something a little classier would brighten his day after long hours at work and unpleasant travels on the train.
3. Tidy up the house before my husband gets back from work. My house tends to look like a tornado of terror ripped through it, leaving a trail of thread, paper, and other miscellany in odd places. My husband never complains, but I bet he'd be thrilled not to be greeted by so much chaos when he returns to his castle.
4. Make sure the house is peaceful. Lately, I've been rocking out to excessively loud music as my husband enters the door. This doesn't deter him from trying to talk to me, but it does make it harder to carry on a conversation. I need to work on my timing, so the music goes off before he pulls into the driveway, so he and I can chat upon his arrival, which leads to the next point:
5. Complain less. While we all have difficulties in our day, I have many outlets to voice my aggravation with people who didn't respond to my emails or tried to get me to walk their dog three times a day because they didn't feel like it and they assume I have nothing going on. Here for instance. So I shouldn't annoy my husband with those complaints when he gets back from a job where he frequently has to defy logic to get things done because his coworkers are not Vulcans (in other words, don't use logic.) It wouldn't hurt me to be a little more positive, right?

Just to reassure you, these aren't exactly new year's resolutions though that last one is definitely on my list. I'm rushing to get this in before my deadline, so I may glance at it tomorrow or see a comment and update or elaborate as needed. Also, the original article phrases some of this advice in a way that I felt negated the needs of the housewife. While our husband's happiness is important to us, our happiness is important to them. These changes that I wish to make are to benefit myself and my husband...not to make him feel like I am subjugated to his every whim. Based on my interpretation of the life of a 50s housewife, does anyone care to join me in my experiment?

2 comments:

  1. I really like this a lot. I am trying to do a bit the same this year. I want to have the house straightened up, at least shower each day. The cooking part not as much but that is because Phillip enjoys cooking, and since he gets off work at 4p (no commute because he works from home), it's easy for him to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. My husband offers to cook me dinner, but I don't want chicken strips from the freezer and mac-n-cheese every night. Let me know how your efforts go. I am working on an update about my first week right now :)

    ReplyDelete