Friday, December 18, 2020

Christmas Off the Ward [FICTION]

I look up as the sound of wheels squeaking across the carpet alerts me to an incoming interruption. Moments later, Dale slides into my cubicle, barely stopping before running over my toes.

“Were you coming to see me?” He asks, peering down at my toes with a hint of relief.


“Nope. Just heard the early warning system.”


“Oh. Good. Good.” He nods his head with each word, obviously pondering something else.


“What’s up, Dale?” I ask finally.


“Joel…” he pauses.


“Oh. You called him already this morning?” I ask, turning back toward my computer.


We never look each other in the eyes when we discuss Joel. He has been in the hospital for a week, receiving treatments for cystic fibrosis. He has another week to go and the company Christmas party is tonight. We both know it won’t be nearly as fun without Joel. Last year, he initiated the Noel Limbo contest. The year before, he dumped tiny foam elves into the punch bowl after he realized someone spiked it. It kept the numbers of drunken coworkers down but didn’t deter the more determined revelers. I was looking forward to whatever hijinks we would be getting into this evening and don’t want to be reminded.


“He called me,” Dale says, jerking me from my sad thoughts.


“Oh.” A sad silence stretches between us again, so I add. “How’s he doing?”


“He’s feeling pretty good. Just bummed we are going to have so much fun without him.”


“He knows he brings the fun, right?”


“I told him that. He denied it.”


“So what are we going to do about it?” I ask.


“I was thinking we should go see him before the party.”


“I’ll grab some of those chocolates he likes.”


“I was thinking a little bigger than that.” He grins at me.


“How big?” I can feel my brow furrowing so deep that I must resemble a Klingon.


“A great escape…”


“But he needs to be in the hospital…”


“Okay, we will plan the escape and if he doesn’t think it is a good idea, we will scrap it and just try to smuggle in some cake after visiting hours.”


“How long have you been thinking about this?”


“Since this morning, after he hung up the phone. If you had heard how sad he was…”


“Okay. I’m in.” I jump up from my chair.


“Calm down. We can’t do anything until after work. Just be ready.” He changes the pitch of his voice for the last three words, so he sounds like he has just informed me of an important top secret mission.


“Sir, yes, sir!” I salute and return to entering data.


~~


“I wondered when you two moles would scuttle in.” Joel greets us cheerfully from his hospital bed.


We grin back. Though pale and drawn, he still brings a smile to our faces. He has attired himself in a festive cardigan and pajama pants speckled with tiny candy canes. He motions toward a padded bench on the far side of the room. 


“Have a seat and tell me what the plans for tonight are.”


“Well, how would you feel about hitting the holiday party?”


“I’d love to, guys, but I wouldn’t be much fun…”


“We just need your charm.” Dale steps into the hallway and rolls in an old-fashioned wheelchair. “I found my grandpa’s old wheelchair and we can wheel you wherever we go.”


“And whoever isn’t pushing will be in charge of any gear you need.” My eyes wander around the room, taking in monitors and tubes, and various other items I have no name for.


He pauses, frowning in deep thought before offering us a slow grin. “Where is the holiday party again?”


“The Nature Center.” Dale answers quickly.


“That close, eh?” Joel leans back against his pillow and takes a deep breath.


I step closer to Dale, waiting silently. 


Joel nods his head and reaches for a button on the side of his bed, “Let me just ask the nurse a few questions. When she gets here, could you step out.” His cheeks flush as he makes his request.


“Of course.” I say, wondering what he doesn’t want to discuss in front of us, since he is always willing to educate us about his condition. 


Dale nods his head. A few minutes later we are waiting in the hall. I don’t know what to say and Dale is always most content to stand in silence, so we lean against the wall and watch nurses and doctors hurrying past with more important things to do than notice us.


Quicker than I anticipated, the nurse steps into the hallway, pushing the empty wheelchair. “My patient isn’t going anywhere in this rickety museum piece.” She frowns at us.


“Oh.” I try to hide my disappointment. “I guess we better get going?”


“Not so fast. I am going to loan you one of the hospital wheelchairs, but no monkey business or I will make you volunteer your veins for aspiring phlebotomists to practice on.” She grins in a way that leaves no question that she is serious.


Soon we are on our way to the holiday party. Due to a little sneaky texting by Dale, our coworkers greet Joel with all the aplomb due to the jolly red-suited man himself. He stands briefly to make a dramatic bow then spends an hour being wheeled around and catered to before we sneak him back into the hospital where a new nurse frowns at us as she helps him out of the wheelchair. She puts a stethoscope to his chest and back and then shoos us after she has reassured herself and us that we have not returned him in worse condition than we found him.


“Thanks, guys, can’t wait to see you at work again.” He calls out, adding a slightly breathless “Ho! Ho! Ho!”


The nurse pulls the curtain closed with the harsh sound of metal running along metal. That sound haunts me as we return to catch the tail end of the party. We left the Christmas spirit back in his hospital bed, fighting for his life day after day and somehow enjoying every minute of it.


~~I think I have Cystic Fibrosis on my mind because I recently listened to a podcast about two sisters living with it. . Of course, my quick research to write this piece didn’t make me feel competent to describe all that goes into caring for yourself when your lungs aren’t working with you, but if you want to help, you can always donate and/or educate yourself


And now I am really wishing I had the forethought to get this posted for giving Tuesday. I actually remembered to donate a little to the cause on Giving Tuesday, but it is never a bad time to show love and support to those who are struggling, so think about it, will you?~~

No comments:

Post a Comment