Thursday, February 25, 2021

The Heart of the World [FICTION]

“Jump.”

         

We leaped together, holding hands tightly as we hurtled toward the center of the earth. I let my mind go blank and closed my eyes The air rushed past my face and whistled as it pulled my hair up and away from my face. 


“This better work.” Hans called out over the wind.


“It will.” I replied, wondering if he could even hear me.


He gripped my hand tighter. My stomach lurched. I closed my eyes again. I didn’t open them until our feet connected with something solid yet spongy and Hans squeezed my hand reassuringly.


“Time to save the world.” He leaned in to whisper in my ear.


“I hope.” I whispered back, looking in wonder at the caverns leading off in all directions from where I stood. 


Colorless vegetation surrounded us, sprouting from the thin dust at our feet. Luminescent liquid dripped from the stalactites reaching down to touch the floor. By that glow, we could see dozens of empty tunnels leading further into the earth.


Hans released my hand and stepped into one of these tunnels. “Well, we better start looking for someone to take us to their leader.” His soft whisper echoed in the empty caverns as if he had shouted.


“Look no further.” A deep voice rumbled from somewhere above our heads.


We looked up to see a figure growing ever larger as it slowly descended from the ceiling of the nearest corridor. I stepped closer to Hans, taking his hand again and squeezing it as hard as I could. He squeezed back, whether to reassure me or seek comfort I don’t know. My eyes remained locked on the stranger, who reminded me of the standard depiction of extraterrestrial life with a slender body and large head dwarfed by large, round, dark eyes.


“It’s okay.” Hans whispered.


“Yes, my dear. It is okay.” The large humanoid showed round teeth like creamy pearls as he spoke. “Assuming, your reasons for visiting my home are peaceable.”


I cleared my throat. “Of course. In fact, we need your help.”


“My help?” His soft rumble vibrated the walls as he stepped closer, blinking almost opaque eyelids over dark orbs.


“Yes.” I paused, unsure how to read his reaction.


“How could I help you? You rule the surface?”


“No. No. I live on the surface, but my research group and I…”


He tilted his head and then shook it softly. “So you are not the ruler?”


“No. As I was trying to explain. We discovered data that suggests the earth’s core is unstable. We also found…”


“You found out that you don’t live alone.” He nodded. “So now you want us to save you?”


“We need you to help us save the planet, yes.”


He leaned back against a stalagmite and crossed his arms. Twelve slender fingers waved as he contemplated his next statement. I blinked and counted them again. I reached twelve three more times before he responded.


“Why do you think we can help?” He asked slowly.


“We found you because this area has less vibrations than the rest of the earth’s core…”


“That’s because we take good care of our home.” He declared proudly.


“And we fear the vibrations are what is tearing the earth apart.” I continued. “So if you can help us to care for the rest of the earth’s core as you do your home…”


“Teach you?” He looked surprised. “You mean, you don’t expect us to just fix what you broke?”


“Of course not.” I replied.


“Then we may be able to help you after all.” He stepped forward, extending one hand slowly. “I understand this is how your people affirm an agreement.


“Yes,” I held out my hand and he enveloped it in his.


Then he placed the other hand over it, encasing mine in clammy skin. I fought back the impulse to breath a sigh of relief when he released me to take Hans’ hand.


“I hope you are quick learners.” He motioned for us to follow him into one of the myriad of tunnels. “There is much to learn and much to do if we are to regulate the vibrations of the whole core of our world.”


“I hope so, too.” I called out after him as I step into the tunnel.


“Come along. Come along.” He called out over his shoulder, sending himself into controlled slide on the smooth rock under foot.


We imitated as best we could. When we reached the bottom of the natural ramp, the only way we could come to a stop without running over our host was to slam into each other and fall in a heap at his feet.


“Get up, children. Let’s get to work.” As we struggled to our feet, he began arranging items on a long counter of rock in the middle of the small cavern.


As he worked luminescent animals clustered overhead until he seemed to be surrounded by a spotlight of soft sunlight. 


“Do you see that?” Hans whispered in my ear.


I nodded.


“The animals know I work only for the good of all,” our host smiled at us. “So they help me in my work. Maybe someday you will be enlightened enough to affect animals in this way. Step forward and I shall teach you the first things you need to know.”



~~~I found this one waiting for more of my deep criticism, half written and longing for more… Do I want to continue this or truncate it here somehow? I think that is why I have never posted it. It really wants to be built into a novel…..~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment