Friday, July 9, 2021

State of the Writing Address [FICTION]

 “I have gathered you here today to assure you that though this year has not been as filled with words as we had hoped it would be, I am here for you. And I need you to be here for me. I need the post-its to keep taking my story ideas and helping me stick them in at the right places. I need the paperclips to hold random pages together, so I don’t create more disorder. I need the pens to let their ink flow freely, so we can keep getting down those ideas that somehow only come when the pen hits the paper. And paper, I know you think I don’t need you now that I have so many electronic devices to take down my words, but sometimes only your white brilliance can coax out the most illusive words. Have faith in me, my tools, my friends. We will write the great American novel together.”

And in keeping with the obvious mental break that caused me to rally my writing troops with a well-intentioned speech, they all step forward to respond. First they rap on the desk. Then they offer me assurance. Since they don’t have mouths, they step forward, so I know who is addressing me. Each one offers their own form of encouragement and swears themselves to the cause of more and better pieces of fiction to flood the world with joy. So next time you read my words and find amusement therein, remember to thank the tools of the trade, no matter how archaic they may seem.


~~I know. This one seems to have been inspired by an acid trip or way too little sleep, but it was a suggested writing prompt. Feel free to throw your own ideas my way or shower me with commendations, cash, cake, and cookies.~~


No comments:

Post a Comment