Friday, March 4, 2022

Catch Your Prize [FICTION]

Hoping this is the last snow of the year, I peel off one glove to pluck the note from my windshield.

“The item you value most now belongs to me— unless you follow my simple instructions. Bring your baseball glove to the field two blocks from the high school tonight at dusk.”

I shake my head and hurriedly slip into my car. I toss the paper on the passenger seat and head home. By then, I have warmed up and almost forgotten the mysterious missive. I remember it immediately when I enter my house. My wide eyes rest on an empty wall.

When I moved into my tiny cottage, the first decoration that went up was a family picture that includes four generations of my family. Though my great grandparents passed away years ago and my grandmother essentially checked out on us as her mind betrayed her, I feel like they are near me every time I step into my house. Except today. They are not gazing back at me from their accustomed place.

I drop my bag to the floor and race back to my car. As I smooth out the note and read it again, my mind reels. I have never played baseball, nor do I have a glove. I stumble back inside with the note clutched in my hand. The wall remains barren. On the shelf under where it hangs, a battered baseball glove sits, waiting for me to slip it on.

I step forward to gaze at it in confusion. Without thinking, I pick it up, feeling its weight in my hands. I pull it over my left hand, surprised at how well it fits. The supple leather almost gleams with a fresh coat of oil. 

“What on earth do you have to do with getting my picture back?” I ask, laughing as I realize I half expect it to give me an answer. “I guess I will find out at dusk.”

~~

As the sun sets, I sit in my parked car, looking out at the baseball field suspiciously. Every base stands empty. Even the wind doesn’t cross the pitcher’s mound. My car sits alone in the parking lot. I wait for someone else to come, but the sun sinks lower and lower. As it reaches the lowest point of the horizon, I sigh and grab the glove. As I step from the car, a cool breeze blows around me, blowing my hair into my eyes.

The sound of tires turning into the gravel lot bring my head up and around. I stare at a parade of cars entering the lot. I recognize most of them. As they take spots and people pour out of the cars, I look down at the glove and remember suddenly that I have seen it before. My grandfather walks to me at a speed that is now his run and throws his arms around me.

“I knew you’d understand, honey,” he whispers in my ear as he holds me close.

Over his shoulder, I see my mother and father helping a familiar figure out of the backseat of their car, and I whisper back, “Is that grandma?”

“Yes, dear. She wanted to play catch with you.”

“She did?”

“Yes. The nurse says this might her last lucid moment before she joins her mother and father.” His voice catches at this last statement, but he pushes through like the strong soldier he has always been. “So we all wanted to share it with her.”

As I wipe tears from my eyes, I remember what brought me here in the first place. “Wait. You stole my picture?”

“Tsk. I’m in that picture. I borrowed it. It is already back on your wall. I wanted to make sure you showed up.”

“You could have just asked me.”

“But that wouldn’t have been as fun for me.” He winks and takes my arm to lead me to my grandmother.

She enfolds me in her arms. “You made it, dear. And you have my glove.” She gently runs a finger along its soft surface. “I’m so glad you’ve finally agreed to play catch with me.”

“My pleasure, grandma.”


~~We all want our last moments with those we love to be filled with love. Knowing this might be the last time we see them on earth is hard though. So many of my friends seem to be struggling with that right now. Know that I love you and you will see your loved ones again.~~

No comments:

Post a Comment