Friday, February 25, 2022

Love Lost

“I never meant to fall in love with you. I knew your heart belonged to another. Yet knowing that our time together would quickly pass, I couldn’t resist being near you. And now, you are staring at me over my favorite meal, and I know this is the last goodbye. Don’t turn that page. Don’t go into that next chapter of your life without me.”

“What do you mean?” She giggled softly as she turned her attention to cutting her chicken.


“I know Edgar has returned.”


Her fork clattered to her plate as she finally met his eyes. “I’m sorry, George. I do love you…”


“I knew this would happen…”


“Could happen…”


“You told me you feared you would always love him.”


“I did, but he wasn’t supposed to come back.”


“Don’t pretend you wished he would die over there. Even I tried not to wish that.”


She gasped. “Of course not.”


“I finally just wished he’d come back married. Maybe then you be able to love me with your whole heart.”


“I’m sorry.” She mumbled through tears as she rose from her seat.


He watched her silently, holding back his own sobs until she disappeared from view. Only then did he release the lump in his throat and allow salty streams to flow from down his cheeks.




~~Sometimes I am not sure where these writing prompts will take me. This felt like a stand alone story that tells itself in the dialogue. What say ye, critics of the inter webs?~

No comments:

Post a Comment