Friday, July 14, 2023

Mystery of Me [FICTION]

 As the tapping faded away, my weary eyes scanned the last couple of paragraphs again. 

“Good enough,” I informed the empty room.


Then I closed the lid of my laptop and pushed it away. Leaning back, I folded my hands under my head and placed my bare feet in the spot formerly occupied by my computer. A few deep breaths centered me and I closed my eyes to revel in another finished mystery for my adoring fans. I almost drifted off before an email alert chimed.


My eyes snapped open. Irritation rose with the conviction that my editor was checking in a month early about my latest novel. He proved more hungry to read each offering than my stalwart readers. My irritation quickly morphed into mystification as I tentatively clicked on the missive from an unknown sender after confirming that no threats were detected by my expensive security software.


“Dear Christie Arthur,


“I lack your penchant for writing, but I have a story that you could bring to life and make believable. I don’t require any acknowledgment but the joy of reading your treatment of this story in print. 


“Our story starts with a young girl whose father passes away. Only when she is about to graduate does her mother find love again. But the new stepfather has ulterior motives. And they involve the young girl. Then he disappears shortly after the wedding. His newly minted widow seems less in mourning than one would expect and the girl is off to school—to get a degree in creative writing…


“Can’t wait to read your story.”


My mouth gaped open as I pondered how to respond to this suggestion. Finally, I typed out a response rife with suspicion, asking to meet and discuss the idea further. The prompt reply denied my request, but left me with this teaser.


“Just tell me your story. If you don’t want to print it for the world, I promise to keep it safe. I just want to read it…


“In your own words.”




~~~




This could be the start of a mystery or the teaser to a longer piece. Do you like it as it is or should it go in the running for a future National Novel Writing Month devoted to just one story that might just be released in parts on lovely blog????

No comments:

Post a Comment