Friday, July 7, 2023

The Real Surprise [FICTION]

 “Come for dinner on your birthday?” Mom asked hopefully.

Though I had been thinking about spending the day with my friends, I couldn’t say no to my mother. After all, she did all the work of getting me here. Besides, only she knew the magic formula to make my favorite cake just right.


“Okay, mom. I’d love to!”


Her squeal of delight clued me in to expect more than just cake perfection, but I decided not to worry about it. (Seriously, that cake is worth any number of uncomfortable inconveniences.)



Two weeks later, I stood at her door, bearing flowers and a box of her favorite gourmet cookies. Like any good hobbit, I give gifts on my birthday. As the door opened, my mother pulled me into her arms and squeezed me so tight that I was sure I would need an ophthalmologist to pop my eyes back into place. I was so distracted by my bulging eyes, the chorus of surprise that greeted me in the dining room elicited the reaction she hoped for.


“Hello, everyone,” I squeaked out slowly as my swollen orbs took in the amazing array of friendly sardines packed into the room.


Nestled among familiar friends and infamous family, two faces stood out. Each sported traces of food from the buffet on their round, jovial faces. The similarities ended there. One sported a long, green cloak and light brown curls falling into his eyes. The other wore not a stitch of clothing but maintained modesty with blue fur.


I turned to my mother, whispering in awe, “How did you get Cookie Monster and Samwise to come to my party?”


“Never doubt a mother’s love.” She beamed at me.


I radiated light of my own until I turned back to my guests. My eyes instantly sought out my most unexpected guests. Sam and Cookie eyed each other suspiciously. Then they turned away from each other and casually approached the buffet table, which took a cue from Pittsburgh weddings and featured an array of cookies and treats. They selected items from opposite ends of the table and devoured them with relish, moving away from the table as other guests surveyed their options. I lost sight of them as my mother presented me with a generous portion of cake. I nibbled on a bite of ganache before delving deeper into the layers of wonder.


“Are you enjoying your party?” My mother sought reassurance a little later.


I smiled around my last bite of cake and nodded my head emphatically.


“Here. Let me get you another piece. It is your big day after all.”


As I allowed my mother to plate another huge slice of birthday cake for me, my attention strayed from pleasing my taste buds to increased activity around the cookie table. At the center of the table, a giant cookie cake remained untouched. No one had worked up the courage to slice through the heap of frosting roses atop the chocolate chip laden treasure. But now two contenders stood ready to take on the challenge of not just one piece but the whole sugar-infused creation. 


Cookie’s mouth hung open in surprise as his hand met Sam’s on the edge of the decorative tray. “Me eat cookie…”


“No, I want this one.” Sam’s eyes strayed lovingly over the sweet floral accents.


“But me want it…”


“I think you should finish the crumbs in your fur first, you big blue orc.”


“Me no orc. You obviously eat enough.” Cookie reached out to pat Sam’s prodigious tummy with a hint of affection.


“I’m a hobbit. We are made this way.” Sam’s eyes narrowed as he placed his hand more firmly on the tray holding the coveted confection.


One of my friends stepped forward to suggest that they share, but neither Cookie Monster nor Samwise acknowledged that he had spoken. Cookie placed his own furry mitt next to Sam’s and they leaned forward to challenge each other with narrowed eyes. Then they both hoisted the cookie as if controlled by one mind and turned with open mouths. The cookie splatted both of their faces, sticking firmly thanks to the roses. As they ate their way through their portion, crumbs and drips of frosting shot across the room.


“Well, honey, glad you’re having a sweet birthday,” my mother laughed as sweet crumbs and icing drops rained down around us.







This one was a struggle because I was supposed to pick my two favorite characters, but picking a favorite is impossible. I figured limiting it to Humanoids might make it easier, but then I thought too hard about cookies. I hope I chose wisely and made someone giggle besides myself. Also, feel free to mail me gifts or send me gift cards. Hobbits love giving and receiving after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment