Friday, April 5, 2024

Poetry Month: Week One

In honor of Poetry Month and my deep-seated need to post better sections of my novel (in my opinion), I present to you some poetry I produced after receiving prompts from “Writers’ Digest”. Enjoy and let your own inner poet share their words in rhyme or other poetic measure to celebrate the month. Or you can just read these poems and ponder how deeply meaningful they are or aren’t. 


April 1, 2024


Look Up


Look up toward the bluer skies

And bring this hope into your eyes

So you can see through lenses of rose

That change the world beyond your nose

So find the optimism inside of you

And bring a light to all you do

As you reach out with trembling hands

To find someone who understands


Look up to the one who knows you best

Don’t accept insults from all the rest

See all that makes you unique

And gives the answers that you seek

When finally humble enough to see

What you are truly meant to me

When you shed the lies that steal peace

Look up and let your pain cease


April 2, 2024


Happy


This moment fills my heart until it might explode

If I accepted one more drop of joy to the load

But I sit back and let happiness fade just enough

To prepare for the next beloved touch

Of hand or lip or gentle embrace

But my heart fills again at sight of one face

Or more that gives my heart a quickened beat

That hearts only find when they admit defeat

After letting love knock so often in vain

Could the hope for happiness be more plain


Sad


That moment when we must say good-bye

Can empty our hearts of blood and tears

As we mourn and wipe our cheeks dry

We realize the most human of fears

But could accept that hope lives still

If we can accept this is not the end

And one hopes to inspire us to choose his will

To unite us once more with friend and kin

If we can but accept that this sadness fades

When immortality is granted for choosing well

To listen to the one who both loves and saves

And wishes that only the truth we tell


April 3, 2024


Sarah/Sara


Lift your voice up to the stars

Show your listeners all your scars

Give hope to those who understand

How it hurts if the wrong hand

Reaches out and you accept

Then sing of how from the past you leapt

To create beauty with notes so true

That they speak volumes to me from you

And give me hope as my ears employ

The solace of therapy I enjoy

In words you wrote and notes you sing

Do you know the peace your art can bring?


April 4, 2024


Mistake


The biggest mistake we’ll ever make

Is failure to know our worth

And it is our own heart we break

When we focus on a sickening dearth

Of affection for one below our value

Because in the end we’re weighed

By our heart and the good we do

By one who our debt paid

Though he knew we wouldn’t know

Quite how much we mean until

This life passed and he could show

The blessings of his will


April 5, 2024


Tell the Wind


Tell the wind your secrets

It will set them free

Place your hopes and your bets

Before you come to me

Then you can whisper nothings

For me alone to hear

But remember the wind sings

When you are no longer near

So tell the wind so I can know

What is in your heart 

And if I understand truth you show

We may never be apart

No comments:

Post a Comment