Friday, March 22, 2024

10: Nature [NOVEL]

I know, dear readers, I owe you so much more than this, but my daughter was sick all last week. In fact, she is on her last dose of antibiotics this week. Needless to say, this doting mom got a little behind. Hope this offering finds you well and preparing for fun and family and feasting in the upcoming weeks.



“She’s really started talking, hasn’t she?” Nona Bea asked as she nibbled on her second piece of cake and watched me conversing with the stuffed bears she brought for my birthday.


I named them Maggie and Sissy. The names fit them perfectly. My bears were sisters who loved each other very much and fought off bad dreams together. Mom shook her head at her mother’s comment as I chattered on with my new friends.


“Oh. She has been talking since she was born. Of course, we didn’t understand her at first and then she was shy around everyone but me and her daddy.” She smiled down at me. “So I guess you are officially family now.”


Nona Bea laughed, “Honey, I will always be family. No matter what.”


Feeling her eyes upon me, I scooped up my bears and brought them over for a group hug. She giggled as she enfolded all of us in her arms.


“Can’t argue with that,” mom replied.


~~~


Something woke me up. I closed my eyes against the darkness and listened intently. Some part of me expected to hear my parents arguing though I had never seen or heard them do more than disagree and then talk it through. Only silence greeted me. I strained to hear for a while, but my eyes eventually closed again and pulled me back into the dream.


When I woke again, sunlight streamed through my window. My mom sat in the rocking chair in the corner of my room, watching me over the top of her book. I often woke to find her like this. It comforted me to know she watched over me while I slept. And waking up to her smile lighting up the world because of me made my heart happy.


“Mama?” I asked softly.


“Yes, dear?”


“Were you and daddy fighting last night?”


Her brow furrowed and her lips turned downward as she rose slowly and stepped toward me, “Of course not, darling. Did you have a bad dream?”


“Maybe?”  My lower lip disappeared into my mouth.


“Don’t worry, honey. Daddy and I are fine,” she smiled and scooped me into her arms. “All we have to argue about is who loves you more.”


After a shower of kisses, she assured me, “It’s me though.”


 I giggled.


No comments:

Post a Comment