Friday, May 3, 2024

Chapter 11: Nature

Confession: I almost didn't get this post together for today, but I didn't want to disappoint anyone who was hoping I was still working on this despite all those fabulous poetry posts. My screen stopped working yesterday and between that and prepping for a birthday party for a rising six year old, I wasn't sure I'd find time to entertain the masses (all six of you). Hope this finds you well and entertained.



“Who’s coming, mama?” I asked with wide eyes as mama bustled around the kitchen putting the finishing touches on plates of small appetizers and finger desserts.


She smiled down at me, “Why would you think someone is coming?”


“It’s not my birthday and you made my favorites,” I confessed, focusing my eyes longingly on one of the little cookie sandwiches on the plate before my mother.


“Peanut butter or chocolate?” She asked.


I felt my face scrunch up as I pondered this impossible question.


She laughed and handed me a cookie that was peanut butter on one side and chocolate on the other, “Daddy hired a new accountant at his company and wanted to get to know him better.”


“Oh?” As the cookie disappeared into my mouth, I lost all interest in anything else.


~


My interest revived as the doorbell rang merrily. I raced to answer it. Mom scooped me up before I could greet and quiz our guests. Dad tousled my hair before opening the door himself.


“Welcome to our humble abode, Humphries,” he greeted the man at the door with a flourish.


“Call me James.” The man smiled shyly as they shook hands. Soft wavy brown hair fell over his brow as nervous eyes darted from my dad to my mom and I. I smiled reassuringly, and he accepted my father’s outstretched hand.


“James then. Call me Walt.”


As the men unclasped their hands, another figure stepped forward to join Mr. Humphries. This one clutched a slumbering bundle to her chest. Curls of golden hair curled around her face, threatening to hide her peaceful face from view.


“This is my wife, Jane,” he beamed at her.


“I hope you don’t mind we brought our daughter, Maggie. Our sitter fell through,” she bit her lower lip as she awaited my parents’ answer. 


My father laughed and ushered them in, “No problem at all. Our daughter will be delighted.”


I nodded my approval as my mother placed me on the ground. The second my feet hit the ground, I became Mrs. Humphries’ shadow. She smiled indulgently at me but didn’t try to awaken her daughter. I didn’t mind. Watching her sleep on her mother’s shoulder brought me joy. Then my mother stepped over to chat calmly with our guest and my held tilted curiously as I observed them.


When my mother stood next to Mrs. Humphries they appeared so alike that they could have been sisters. My mother’s smile as she looked down at Maggie mirrored the doting mother. She looked down at me with the same warm affection.


“Would you like to set your daughter down on the couch or on Opera’s bed? I am sure she wouldn’t mind.”


I nodded agreement, excitedly adding, “I can watch over her.”


Mrs. Humphries giggled, “Looks like you already are. Where is the living room?”


I followed in their wake, watching anxiously as my new friend was settled onto the couch. As soon as her round cheek touched the throw pillow, her blue eyes slowly opened. As they focused on me, a wide grin lit up her face and she reached for me.


“Sissy!”


Our mothers giggled, but my heart reached out for hers. My arms followed suit as I clambered up to lie beside her on the couch.


“Do you girls want dinner?” My mother asked gently.


I lean back to gauge Maggie’s response. She smiles shyly and nods. We slide off of the couch. Maggie grabs my hand. I entwine my fingers in hers and lead her to the table.


Not exactly the wish I made, yet somehow I felt like it came true anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment