Thursday, February 2, 2012

Moving On? Moving In Tandem

The story from the previous entry continues here. I believe the next post will bring it to a close for those wanting to know where this is going. Keep commenting.

As the elevators began to open, Crystal reached into the pocket of her loose cardigan. She pulled out a pair of thin cotton gloves and shoved them into my hand.

“You’re going to want those so you don’t leave any fingerprints.” She winked as I slipped the gloves into my pocket.

A soft ding announced our arrival. Crystal stepped out onto the floor before the doors opened completely, mumbling impatiently as she squeezed between the doors. I followed more cautiously. No one noticed me. Their eyes all sought the floor, the wall, the exit sign, anything that was not Crystal’s gaze. I casually slipped to the far side of my destination cubicle. I sucked in my breath and held it as I waited for her to lure out our victim.

“Carolyn, I have a package for you.” Crystal’s voice echoed over the cube wall.

“Where is it?” Carolyn’s weary voice would have been indiscernible if I weren’t crouched against the padded wall.

“Downstairs, of course.” Her harsh voice quelled any questions about her logic.

Chairs rolled closer to desks. Typing became more frantic. A few voices raised noticeably as everyone aspired not to hear what was happening in Carolyn’s cubicle.

“You couldn’t just bring it up?” Carolyn’s voice remained flat.

“Apparently not. You should come get it.” Crystal’s voice became sharper.

Wheels squealed as she pushed back her chair with a sigh. “Alright, Crystal, let’s go.”
I waited until I heard the elevator door open before venturing around to the opening in the cubicle. In the wake of Crystal’s visit, everyone continued to mind their own business. No one even glanced in my direction as I snuck into Carolyn’s cubicle. I pulled the cotton gloves out of my pocket and slipped them onto my hands. I shook my head as the humor of the situation struck me, but I had come too far to back down now.

Not wanting to risk discovery, I slid the bottom drawer out of her desk as quietly as possible. Air whistled through the small gap in front teeth as the drawer clicked free of its casings. Setting it gently on the floor, I reached into my pocket and pulled out the packet of tuna. Pulling back the tab, I allowed fragrant juice to dribble down the back of the drawer. I rubbed the package along the drips of oil to keep them from dribbling on the floor.

As I slipped the drawer back into place, my eyes turned to the top drawer on the other side of the desk. Shrugging slightly, I pulled it out as cautiously as the first. I poured out more oil, swiping it once with the foil packet. I lifted the drawer gently, preparing to slide it home.

“Sorry about that, I didn’t realize the new girl in accounting was also named Carolyn.” My head whipped up as Crystal’s voice boomed out of the elevator.

The squeaky reply didn’t travel to where I stood. I inhaled deeply and forced myself to slide the drawer into place with pained precision. As it clicked closed, I stepped toward the opening in the cube walls. Peering around the wall, I could see that Crystal had grabbed Carolyn’s arm. The other woman whipped around like a rag doll as Crystal’s voice boomed into the frightened stillness of the office.

“I said I was sorry. It’s an easy mistake to make.” Seeing me, Crystal tilted her head.

I stepped gingerly into the aisle, glancing in each direction once before scurrying around to the far side of this row of cubicles. Skirting around until I reached the end closest to the elevator, I reached the corner as Crystal dismissed Carolyn.

“I’ll be more careful in the future.” Her words held a promise that Carolyn would never receive her packages again.

I stifled a laugh as Carolyn turned away. Crystal turned back to the elevator, hitting the button repeatedly with the palm of her hand. I stepped up to stand beside her, waiting in silence. We didn’t speak until the elevator doors closed behind us.

“Done?”

“Yes. I did two drawers.”

“Good thinking. Now all we have to do is wait.”

No comments:

Post a Comment