Saturday, February 4, 2012

Moving On? Moving Out?

I have noticed a marked lack of interest in this particular piece, so I thought I'd slip this final selection into the journal on an off day. I already have a piece in mind to post on Thursday, so feel free to come back for something new and refreshing. Hope to read more of your comments soon!

“Carolyn has done it. She quit.” Crystal crowed as she returned from a scouting mission to the human resources department.

“Really?” Less than a week had passed.

“Yes. I can’t believe she made it this long.” Crystal made a sour face.

We both made many visits to her cubicle in the past week. Every time, we came closer and closer to losing our lunch. No one could ever get used to such a stench. I shuddered and Crystal smiled at me.

“It’s only a matter of time.” She nodded happily.

As if on cue, my phone rang.

“Sarabeth…” I began.

“Sarabeth, get up here. We need to talk.” My boss’s voice boomed over the line.

“Yes, sir.” I pulled the phone away from my ear in time to hear a loud click.

“Good luck.” Crystal paused long enough to flash me a thumb’s up before sitting heavily in her chair.

I stepped out of the doorway calmly before bursting into a sprint. By the time I reached my boss’s office, my breath was spent. I paused just outside the door to regain my bearings. When I no longer sounded as if I had just ran a marathon, I knocked lightly on the door.

“Get in here.” His gruff voice matched his serious face.

“I have some news for you.” He paused and surveyed my expression. “You might want to sit down.”

“I think I’m okay to stand.” I smiled reassuringly.

“I really think you should sit. I’ll wait.” He formed a steeple of his fingers as he leaned back a little.
I obeyed, pulling my skirt down subconsciously as it rode up above my knees. He gently tapped his fingers together as he sought the right words.

“Sarabeth, the company is moving in a new direction.” He paused dramatically to let this sink in.
I filled the pause with timid words. “What do you mean?”

“We’re outsourcing some of our data entry positions…”

My face fell as he paused again, changing his own expression to one of remorse. “You’ve been a good employee, but we’re going to have to let you go.”

“But I just…” I bit back the words that were on the tip of my tongue.

“You just what?” He lowered his hands and leaned forward. His dark eyes searched my face suspiciously.

“I just thought that I…” I struggled to think of a good lie.

“That’s not important. You’ll have two weeks to write up some procedures.” He offered me a smile as if he was giving me a gift. “And a generous severance package to tide you over until you find a new job.”

“Thank you?” Hopeless words were all I had left.

I didn’t wait for his response. I walked out of his office, being sure to let it slam behind me. He didn’t try to stop me. I sighed, realizing that perhaps coming to work to find I had no cubicle really was a sign that I should have moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment