Thursday, September 20, 2012

Defying Loneliness

Here's a slightly more upbeat piece of writing for your consideration. Feel free to leave comments, offer love, and tell your friends.


When I’m alone, every movement takes on more meaning. Even the gentle flap of a tissue seems sinister or reassuring depending on my mood. Today, the slight motion startled me. I bounded from my seat on the couch, reaching for the nearest weapon. The slender, wooden handle of the broom reassured me as I slowly spun to face every possible hiding place along the length of the long, narrow room. No creature stirred in the silence. I took a deep breath. As I relaxed and released my hold, the broom tapped to rest against the wall.

I jumped again as the doorbell played its jaunty tune. I glared in the direction of the front door before tiptoeing toward it. I paused an arms length from the door, pressing my body against the wall. I reached one long slender arm out until my fingertips rested on the worn, brass knob. Tumblers clicked against each other in the stillness.

“Someone is in there.” A soft voice insisted from the other side of the door.

“Then ring the bell again.” Another voice answered in similarly soft tones.

“I don’t know. Should we really bother them if…”

“You want to try the next house?” The second voice interrupted impatiently.

The bell sounded again, causing me to jump a little though I expected it. After a few more moments of silent waiting, I edged over until I could see through the peephole. Two young girls in jeans and matching baby blue sweatshirts huddled together on my porch. The blonde gnawed her upper lip as she surveyed the street. The redhead rubbed her slender hands together in hopes of wiping away streaks of black grime.

“I can’t believe you forgot your cell.” The blonde’s lips barely moved as she hissed recriminations.

The redhead rolled her eyes and shook back a wave of deep red tresses. “Well, if you had one…”

I slipped the chain on the door and opened the door a crack. As I peered out at them, the two girls turned toward me and smiled shyly. They made no move to speak, so I broke the silence.

“Yes? Can I help you?” My lips pulled down as my voice cracked.

“We were hoping to use your phone…” The blonde explained.

“…or you could call a tow truck for us…” The redhead offered as she observed my face.

I watched them a few more seconds while I weighed my worries against the nagging loneliness that caused me to jump at the slightest movement. “Come in.”

I fumbled with the chain, willing my arthritic fingers to work. Finally, the chain fell free clanking against the doorframe as I welcomed my unexpected guests. They exchanged looks before gently linking their pinky fingers and stepping into the narrow hallway that separated the living room from the dining room.

“Please have a seat.” I motioned toward the couch as I reached for the phone. “Make your call while I make us some hot cocoa.”

“Thank you.” Relieved smiles stretched across their faces as the blonde reached for the phone.

As I turned toward the kitchen, the phone beeped out a number. The soft murmur of her voice rushed me as I put water on to boil. While the water heated up, I moistened a dishtowel and returned to the living room. As I offered the moist cloth to the redhead, she flashed a warm smile and took it gratefully. She gently wiped it along the streaks of grime on her hands. While the blonde offered directions to the person on the other end of the phone, I settled into the overstuffed recliner and pulled a faded quilt across my lap.

The kettle allowed enough time for introductions before it whistled shrilly. When I returned with a tray loaded with cocoa packets, mugs, and the steaming kettle, the girls politely inquired about my quilt. Soon I found my mind and my words wandering to memories of my grandmother helping me cut out my first quilt and the disastrous product I stitched together before she offered more guidance. More stories followed until the doorbell rang. I stifled a sigh as I slowly lifted myself from the chair.

“Looks like help has finally arrived.” I said brightly as the girls bounced out of their seats and started for the door.

I trailed after them, feeling pleasant euphoria slipping away. As they reached the door, they paused. A look passed between them that carried great weight. They nodded agreement and turned toward me.

“Thank you so much.” The redhead smiled warmly before continuing less assuredly. “If we came back to visit, could you teach us more about quilting?”

“Maybe even help us make one?” The blonde offered as she exchanged looks with her friend.

Their tentative questions brought a smile to my lips and warmth to my heart. “I’d love that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment