Tuesday, August 5, 2014

[CRAFT] 9 Square Quilts

When my mother passed away, she left a box full of colorful swatches of fabric. Consistently cut into rectangles, they represented most of the hues of the color family. I decided to cut them down into four inch squares and sew them into a couple of quilts for my niece and nephew to snuggle under when they visit me. At first, I thought I'd whip them out swiftly with the help of my sewing machine, but my  inability to practice patience while sewing stretchy fabrics led me to sew them all by hand. Almost two years later, my hard work finally yielded three quilts for all the snuggling needs of myself and my sweet little niece and nephew.

The first quilt is a lovely mix of blues and greens. I accented with some blue fabric featuring silver moons and stars that my mother had in her stash. I tied it with green string to hold all the layers together. This is the final product:


I didn't have quite enough pink and purple, so I added some blue to the mix. Of course, I used pink thread to mesh the layers together. Take a look:


The final quilt blends the leftover squares to the best of my ability. To ensure the right size, I added some accents from one of the many jelly rolls I keep lying around in case I have a desperate need for more fabric and some long strips of white to bring it all together. I believe it turned out well.


Now all I need is a familial visit to assure my labor of love can be appreciated by the intended receivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment