Thursday, August 21, 2014

[REVIEW] Ship of Theseus

Initially, I pulled this book from the shelf because it was shelved with books written by authors with last names starting with A, but the name on the spine read V. M. Straka.  I flipped through the pages and a pile of bonus features that had been tucked into a plastic pocket in the back of the book. Then, I put it down and started reading another book that I checked out at the same time...and another book...and another book....and another book. You get the idea.

I did a little research and found out that J.J. Abrams (sounds familiar) and Doug Dorst authored this novel. Those notes in the margins which horrified my book-loving heart are actually part of the book, giving the ADHD reader multiple plot lines to follow.

After reading all the way to the end, I feel like the book should have a guide for possible ways to read it. This may lead to SPOILERs, so you can stop reading now if you want (and pick up when the numbers stop but I fear spoilers live there as well):

1. I read each page as it came, including all the notes in the margin. If you want to try to read it chronologically, I suggest starting with the novel including the footnotes, then reading the black all capitals with blue cursive (first meetings on the page), then the orange and green (growing trust of the margin critiques), then the red and black (this seems to be after they meet in person), and black and black (they are sharing the same pen).
2. Since the book was borrowed from the library, I have no idea where the extra reading material which included some letters, many postcards, and a newspaper originally resided. I can't help but wonder if they were inserted in particular parts of the book. As I mentioned before, I read through them a while before I read the book. They made more sense after reading the book.
3. If I didn't have a huge backlog of books to be read, I would probably read through it again because I am sure I missed some nuances, but not the monkey. You can never miss the monkey. (See, I warned you about spoilers.)

My favorite plot clearly involves the monkey. A rough drawing of him even made its way into the margins. He adds a bit of whimsy at times and even creates some havoc along the way.

Of course, the main character of the novel is a mysterious man, who goes by "S" because he doesn't know anything about himself. As he pursues more knowledge about who he is, a mysterious woman appears time and again to haunt him. He continues to be torn by his desire to be reunited with her and a seemingly unrelated need to obey some unknown force or organization that sends him out on missions at each port. Even when it seems that he has escaped, some force always draws him back to the Ship of Theseus, which features a crew that offers him little comfort. In fact, due to a shared physical features, they probably just gave him nightmares.

Another struggle unfolds in the margins where two readers/scholars bond over the trials and tribulations faced by the mysterious "S", as well as other characters created by the equally mysterious Straka. Their own story takes a few thrilling twists and turns that they hint at in their margin conversations.

If my somewhat cryptic review has you asking questions, remember to look for this book under the name J. J. Abrams not V. M. Straka.

No comments:

Post a Comment