Saturday, August 23, 2014

[CRAFTS] A Very Fishy Halloween

A while back I told some friends with a fishy last name that they should have a baby so I could make a tiny salmon costume. When they announced a little bundle of joy arriving at the end of September, the gears started whirring faster than the speed of sound. I let my overactive imagination roll for quite a few months. During that time, I picked up a onesie and some pants (to ensure a better chance of the costume fitting appropriately) and recalled some super shimmery fabric in my private stash that would prove perfect for creating a fin and a hat with huge fish eyes.

I wanted to present the costume in a unique way, so I lured an innocent koala to my home. I offered her some cough drops, the only eucalyptus in my house, to bribe her to suit up. I also reassured her that she would go to a good home where she would be loved and adored by a sweet baby fish. She may have been high on the eucalyptus because she agreed to hop into the bag for a photo shoot. Of course, one of the other guests at the baby shower didn't understand that Kayla the Koala was just being a model for the costume. She thought maybe my friends and I loved some obscure show with a koala-fish in it. I think I may just have to write that one. Should I? Would you watch it? Would you read a story about such a creature on this very blog? (So many questions.)

If you are impressed by the photos and suddenly want me to help you become something other than yourself for Halloween, that can be arranged for the cost of materials and a small fee for my genius and potentially bleeding fingers. I'd talk to me quick because such an order would have to be in the works before the end of September. I like to have some time in case something needs tweaked or embellished.

Also, this cute stuffed animal was a special promotion to support a charity called Chapters of Hope. They seem to have sold out of adorable stuffed friends, but they have offered different animals around the holidays for the past couple of years, so don't give up hope.

Kayla's earring displays enthusiasm for marking your possessions with your name.


Kayla reinvents the concept of "four eyes".







No comments:

Post a Comment