Friday, November 13, 2015

[NANOWRIMO] Day 13

As I stand gaping at her, Faun throws her arms open wide. As she envelopes me in a back-crunching hug, the aromas of sage and cinnamon assail my nostrils. I cough lightly and she laughs again. She releases me and steps back into the hall as her dark eyes survey me from hair to heels.

"Oh, Becca, you know I love you, but you worry too much."

"Mom does need us."

"You know she only needs you. Is this about Larry?"

I inhale sharply. "Why would I call you about him?"

"Because I am the only person who understands you." She grins as she grabs the handle of her bag and wheels it into the room.

I close the door and follow in her wake. She sits down on my couch, a queen on her throne, and gestures elegantly for me to sit down beside her.

"Have a seat on my couch and Dr. Freud and I will help you with your issues."

I frown at her but find myself seated beside her. "I don't..."

"...really want to talk about it." She reaches out to take my hand, flipping it over to peer at the lines on my palm. "That's okay. Your lifeline tells me everything I need to know, but maybe you should tell me what you need to know."

I try to wrap my head around her statement, find myself more confused, and shake my head. She leans in to stare deep into my eyes.

"It's okay, Becca. You will talk to me eventually, but I didn't come in response to all your messages."

"What?" Something about her gaze made me uncomfortable.

I tried to draw away, but she grabbed my other hand. Her eyes widened as she spoke softly. "I recently found out something about myself...about us..."

As she paused, I tried again to reclaim my hands. She held them tighter and continued. "We have a destiny. I want to embrace it , but we have to embrace it together."

I opened my mouth but lost my will to speak as her voice washed over me again. "I just need your blood to get things started."

"My blood?" Words found their way to my lips at last. "Should you be taking some sort of medication?"

"No. Just be quiet and close your eyes."

I don't want to obey, but something in the tone of her voice hypnotizes me. As she disappears behind my eyelashes, her smile falters. Then my eyelids block out the light and I wait. My heart beats faster in the darkness and I wait. Her grip on my hands loosens, but she doesn't let them go. Even if she did, I know I couldn't pull away now. Something draws me in. Curiosity?

What is she about to do? A part of me feels like I always knew her words to be true. We are meant to do something great or terrible. With my sister, I fear she might choose the terrible and drag me into the darkness with her.

Called away again by the hungry, but I finally posted. Tell me how excited you are or share your questions or comments below. It might inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment