Friday, November 6, 2015

[NANOWRIMO] Day 6

Clearly, a real try for 50,000 beautiful words would have proven a failure this month, but I have returned for another installment. Post any thoughts in the comments below.

"Faun?" I shudder slightly at the desperate sound of my voice.

"Yes, Becca." I can hear the smile in her voice. "Miss me?"

"Why haven't you called?"

"Right to business then?"

I don't respond. I know she is baiting me. After a minute of silence, she sighs. Another minute and she clears her throat loudly. I wait. She waits. I hit the mute button so she can't even hear me breath.

"You called me..."

I bite my lower lip and wait.

"...so what did you want?"

I click the mute button again. "You have to learn to listen to your messages."

"I did, but you didn't say what you really want."

"I did. I want you to come home." Annoyance forces the words out in short, clipped bursts.

"You can tell me whatever it is over the phone."

"I shouldn't have to. You..." A loud knock on the door cuts off my rant. "Hold on."

As I walk toward the door, Faun laughs. I frown and grab the knob. As I pull the door toward me, I peer into the hallway. My frown deepens as the gypsy girl standing there grins at me.

"Someone's at the door." Faun's voice floods over me. "Happy to see me?"

Have more to type, but my boss needs food. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment