Sunday, November 1, 2015

[NANOWRIMO] Day 1

Not a lot of sparks were generated by my comments, which kind of leaves me to my own devices. Clearly, my readers don't realize how dangerous that can be. Let me shake my head and let some ideas bounce into each other.

The whir of the blender pulls me back out of my troubled thoughts. I didn't realize I hit the button and now my attempt at a milkshake has become thick, chocolatey milk. I shake my head and turn it off. I dump the frothy mixture into a large milkshake glass and open the top drawer, reaching to the back until I feel a straw. I pull it out, disinterestedly observing the lime green hue as I drop it into my concoction.

As the chilled chocolate rolls across my tongue, my mind wanders again. I close my eyes and picture a scene thousands of miles away. I wonder how accurate my vision can be with no response to dozens of emails and almost as many phone calls. I open my eyes and reach for my phone.

"No new messages."

Words that wound my heart flash across the screen. I flip it over so the unkind, unblinking face can't continue to scream my rejection. To further taunt me, the phone rings. The shrill tones inform me that the call is not the one I want. I sigh and turn away, refusing to let the real world pull me out of my attempts at prognostication.

As I step into the living room, I realize I have downed the entire milkshake in record time. I set the glass down on the end table and sit on the couch. I stare blankly at the television, willing visions to splash across the dark screen. Once more I am denied. I sigh and reach for the remote. The landline phone rings. I stare at it, waiting for the mechanical voice to break the silence.

"Faun's cell."

I jump for the phone.

Where do you think this should go?

No comments:

Post a Comment