Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The 50s Housewife Experiment Revisited [RANTINGS]

Last year, I shared my desire to behave more like a 1950s era housewife. I posted twice on the subject and then no more was heard from the social scientist. Why? Strange nausea and distraction gave way to obsession and sleep deprivation. None of these events made me feel like I was in touch with a 50s housewife. Today, I realized I have the final ingredient for my 50s household--a tiny baby to love, care for, and be amazed by.

So my daughter continues to amaze me. She also makes me feel like I have begun my own cooking show. I place her where she can see me without being splashed by soapy water or hot grease. Instead, I shower her with commentary about her beauty; what I am cooking, chopping, or washing; and any other topic that pops into my head. I often wonder if I should put such delightful banter into syndication. That ambition fades as I remember that sometimes I sing and only a very old lady at church has ever told me I have a nice voice. Most other people change the subject when I ask for an honest answer about that hot topic.

Anyway, as today is the first Mardi Gras since I became a mom, I decided that making a king cake would be too much of an undertaking for me and my princess. I decided to make monkey bread instead and take the easy route with cans of crescent rolls, cream cheese, and a cinnamon sugar mix. While not as tasty as homemade king cake, it has helped make me fatter this Tuesday. Dipping some bites in melted chocolate certainly enhanced that outcome.

Another feature of my standard day features leftovers. Today, some lonely meatloaf from the fridge made a nice lunch when I heated it up with broccoli, cauliflower, and garlic until piping hot. I washed that down with even more monkey bread in keeping with my theme for the day.

All that eating made me tired, so I snuggled up to the little one and tried to get some sleep. Sadly, I am getting over something, so my coughing kept waking us up from our slumber. That means we should be headed back to bed soon.

How did you celebrate Mardi Gras, my friends? 

No comments:

Post a Comment