Thursday, October 27, 2016

Family Surprise [FICTION]

My parents whisper and laugh when we watch “Teen Wolf”. They insist we watch it every time the weather turns cold and the air overflows with pumpkin spice. Then they laugh at their private jokes while I wonder how many people fell in love with Michael J. Fox while watching that movie. I can tell by the footage that the movie came out well before I was born, so I don’t share my parents’ enthusiasm. Nothing I have said has freed me from our family tradition. This year, I planned to change that.

I floated through a cloud of popcorn butter on my way to the door. I placed my hand on the knob. I paused. I didn’t want to pause. Something made me. I needed to take one glance over my shoulder. I took that glance. My resolve faltered.

My parents watched me with large round eyes. Larger and rounder than normal. My hand fell from the knob.

“Come on, Cyrene, it’s time to watch…”

“Please no.” My mouth dried up.

My mother and father exchanged the look. My feet carried me toward them without the consent of my mind. My mother reached out to gently grasp my shoulders, leaning me toward her until I imagined I understood the tower of Pisa.

“You don’t want to watch our movie?” She asked.

“I don’t want to watch your movie.” I whispered.

“Then I think it is time to tell you why we make you watch it.”

“What?”

“Sit down, daughter.” My father motioned to the couch.

As my mother released my shoulders, I took tentative steps to take my seat. My parents sat on either side of me. Each placed a hand reassuringly on my shoulder.

“You tell her,” my father whispered over my head.

I turn to my mother who smiled at me. Is it possible her mouth grew smaller than I remembered with thinner lips?

“Mom?” My own lips trembled.

“You’re old enough to know that we’re not like other people.”

I looked toward the muted television where Michael J. Fox was talking avidly with his father.

“We’re werewolves?” My eyes widened so much they could swallow the moon.

“No.” My mother giggled.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” My father added gruffly.

“I don’t understand.”

“We know, honey, but we have to tell you because you will feel different from the other children soon. We made you watch this movie, so you’d understand that it is fine to be different.”

“It’s fun to be different.” My mother added.

I nodded at this. “I know. I had to take health class.”

“Not in that way.” My mother looked down at her hand. “We grow into adulthood differently where we are from.”

My mouth dropped open. I couldn’t find the words to ask the questions flooding my mind, so I closed it slowly.

“We’re not from earth, dear. We came here when our planet died and you need to know a few things to make sure you are a good guest.”   

My mouth dropped open. It stayed that way. My parents smiled at me, so I raised my hand to gently touch my lower mandible. As I pushed upward on it, my mouth closed but my lips stretched to drape across the back of my hand.

“You have to be careful of your emotions now that you are growing up. They mess up our approximation of the human form.”

I nodded my head as if I understood. My mom stepped forward and gently pushed my lips back into my face.

“What else do I need to know?”

“Don’t kiss any humans.”

“Really?” I asked, hoping this was my father’s attempt at humor.

My mother nodded her head in support of his statement. “It doesn’t end well for them.”

With my hopes of the romance I saw in movies shattered, I foolishly followed up. “Anything else?”

“Don’t tell anyone.” My father said.

“And you’re going to be sick for a couple of days every three months.” Seeing my face fall further, my mother quickly added. “You won’t really be sick, dear. It’s just that humans can’t handle the pheromones we release when…” She started to blush and her face turned lavender.


My father concentrated on a point outside the window. When he finally turned toward me, foamy green clouded his normally brown eyes. “I told your mother I didn’t want to be here for this part of the conversation.”

A good start? Shall I continue? Without assurances that you read and loved this, I shall move on to another project, so pay for your supper and give me some feedback...

No comments:

Post a Comment