Saturday, October 22, 2016

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and Pumpkin Cake for One [REVIEW] [RECIPE]

I've actually read "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" a couple of times, just not recently. In fact, I lost the book when I was reading the novel for a class in college and the only copy I could find in the library was in French. Luckily, it was not what I think of as the "this will kill that" chapter. (Perhaps not so lucky, it's been over a decade and that chapter haunts me.)

If you've watched Disney's version of this classic, go ahead and pick up the book. Reading it will be a completely different experience. Many of the character names remain the same but aspects of the characters got changed in translation to a child-friendly forum. They named their gargoyles Victor, Hugo, and Laverne in honor of the author of the original and Shirley's roommate. More importantly, they kept Hugo's true main character at the heart of the story. The original French title is "Notre Dame de Paris".

Anything else I tell you would be spoilers, darling, so feel free to pick up your own copy and find out why this story popped into my head so close to Halloween.




PUMPKIN CAKE FOR ONE

I decided to make my own mug cake. I tried a couple different ideas, and I think this version was the tastiest one I made. Some people may prefer more sugar or more pumpkin pie spice, so feel free to add more if needed. I wanted to let the pumpkin flavor be on center stage not sweetness or spice. Somehow this recipe became vegan. I tried for gluten free but that version resembled thick pudding.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 - 1 tablespoon sugar
2 or 3 drops vanilla extract
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3 tablespoons self-rising flour (splurge for the pre-mixed bag from the store and save time)
1 tablespoon oat flour
2 tablespoons chocolate or butterscotch chips

Mix together the moist ingredients and spice. Add flours and combine. Fold in chocolate and/or butterscotch chips. Heat in microwave for 45 to 60 seconds.
Note: You can ice this cake with a bit of icing or ice cream syrup. I thought it was tasty without adding any garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment