Friday, October 14, 2016

"Ensign" Magazine and Pumpkin Walnut Sticky Rolls [REVIEW] [RECIPE]



Since I didn't plan ahead for this cookie bookie month, I didn't set aside enough time to read a novel a week. Aside from the extensive roles of a wife and mother (nurse, laundress, chef, maid, butler, chauffeur, etc.), I have an impressive backlog of crafts (some of which would love to be gifts for your friends and family). I hope you will forgive me for not introducing you to a half dozen new and exciting masterpieces this month. I shall try to make up for it with my recipes.

This week's cheat takes the form of a magazine. I've been trying to catch up on the "Ensign", which is distributed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. As you my note from the picture, I am still reading my way through the September issue. A couple of my favorite articles reminded me of the importance of prayer. Even when life is at its darkest, we always have somewhere to turn. And sometimes the few minutes we take to pray help us reflect on how lucky we actually are.

With my hefty "to do" list, I composed a somewhat simpler sweet roll recipe that incorporates the flavor of the season: pumpkin spice. The absence of yeast in this recipe takes away some of the waiting and makes it a good treat for loved ones who are allergic to yeast. (I recently learned one of my relatives suffers from such a sensitivity, so I need to remember this recipe next time I get to cook for her.)

PUMPKIN WALNUT STICKY ROLLS

PUMPKIN DOUGH:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1/4 cup cream cheese, chilled and cut into pieces
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup milk

FILLING:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted

CARAMEL TOPPING:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make the pumpkin dough. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
3. Blend butter and cream cheese into flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse sand.
4. Stir in pumpkin puree, lemon juice, and milk until dough comes together.
5. Pour out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until uniform in color and consistency.
6. Roll out dough until about 1/4 inch thick. Fold in third like a letter and roll out again. Turn 90 degrees. Repeat a couple more times. (You can probably skip this step. I found it soothing and think it makes fluffier rolls.)
7. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge while you continue to the next steps.
8. Make the filling. Mix together walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside. Set butter aside until a later step.
9. Make the caramel topping. Melt butter and brown sugar in small saucepan until the mixture begins to boil, stirring constantly.
10. Remove from heat. Add corn syrup and vanilla.
11. Grease a 9 X 13 pan. Pour caramel mixture into pan. Sprinkle walnuts over the caramel.
12. Assemble the rolls. Remove pumpkin dough from refrigerator. Roll out until about 12 inches by 10 inches.
13. Spread melted butter over the dough.
14. Sprinkle filling evenly over the buttery dough.
15. Roll the dough over itself until the filling is wrapped inside.
16. Cut the rolls into one inch thick rounds (should make 12 rolls).
17. Place rolls over walnut and caramel mixture. (I pushed down my rolls a little into the caramel nut mixture.)
18. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
19. Allow to cool and scoop out a roll and some caramel topping to enjoy. (I suggest an ice cream topper.)

Please comment fall flavor ideas below if you want to inspire my next recipe post. Also, I can clarify if any of the steps above doesn't make sense. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment