Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Fortune [POETRY]

What fortune is this that plopped me down hear
With a basket at my feet and a very long ear
I check again and then there are two
One flops over, covering my face
And I wonder what on earth to do
Because I feel so out of place
I spy a glint of gold in the basket at my feet
And pull it out, hoping for something to eat
But as it touches my teeth, I know
This isn’t how this is supposed to go
“Sorry, lass, but that gilt be mine”
A voice whispers and I find
Myself facing a red-headed imp
Who grins as he bows and forward does limp
To pluck the golden coin from my hands
I gasp and he nods as if he understands
“’Tis what ye need this?” He proffers
Something more precious than all in his coffers
A rich chocolate egg wrapped in bright foil
It lingers on my tongue and alleviates the toil
Of a long day of hatching plans to bring
Treats to all the little people who celebrate spring
With baskets of goodies and fluffy tails
For the fortunate Easter Bunny never fails


Thought I should be a little cute and cheeky today.
Hope you loved it.
Hope you wake up to treats on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment