Friday, February 4, 2022

Blind Date Plan B [FICTION]

“That’s brilliant, Diane.” Katie declared as her friend finished laying out her foolproof blind date plan.

“It is, isn’t it? Now repeat it back to me.”


“Really?”


“Yes. Really!”


“At precisely 9:30, I will call you. If you tell me that you handled it earlier, I will just hang up. Otherwise, you will tell me you will be right there. At which point, your date gets a good story and you come over to join me with my dates: pints of ice cream and chick flicks.”


“I am pretty sure I would prefer that to a blind date with my grandmother’s best friend’s grandson.”


“I don’t understand why you agreed to a blind date on Valentine’s Day?”


“Probably for the same reason he did. No one says no to their grandmother.”


“Even I can’t say no to your grandmother.”


The girls giggled.


~~


Diane wasn’t giggling on Valentine’s Day. She barely ate anything the whole day as her tummy tied itself up in knots. She trusted her grandmother, but her grandmother’s best friend had recommended her own grandson, who was also single on Valentine’s Day. Grandmas always see the best in their grandkids, and Diane can’t convince herself to expect great things from a man who willingly allows his grandmother set him up on this day of all days of the year. At least she isn’t joining him for family dinner on Christmas or Easter.


With that in mind, she arrived at the restaurant ten minutes early in the hopes of getting a peek at her date before committing to a whole dinner of gazing at his face. A young man looked up at her with expectation in his eyes as she stepped through the door. As he raised his hand to his mouth in a nervous gesture, she offered a tentative smile.


“Diane?” He croaked, coughing into his hand sheepishly before fixing his eyes hopefully on her.


“That’s me. Travis?”


He nodded and stared at her for a moment before offering his elbow. “You are way more beautiful than your grandmother described you.”


“Did you just accuse her of being modest?”


“I might have.”


“Heh. Your grandmother didn’t mention how brave you were.”


“That’s implied by accepting a blind date on this night of all nights.”


“I know, right?”


“My modest grandma is very determined. What’s your excuse?”


“I didn’t want to disappoint my grandmother either.”


“So they succeeded with sheer persistence. Let’s make them proud.” With that he lead her to the hostess who offered a weary facsimile of a smile as she asked for his name.


Soon the new acquaintances found themselves ensconced in a cozy little booth. They could each see three other couples, one in common. Halfway through the appetizer, they both found themselves awkwardly reaching for onion petals without looking because the man had sunk to his knees before his date. With a lot of squealing and loud, sloppy kissing, she accepted the ring he proffered. Alex and Diane joined the congratulatory applause and sat in uncomfortable silence. The arrival of their food warmed them up a little bit as they exchanged bites of their choices.


The conversation turned to common interests as the hour changed. They were well into a discussion of their favorite books when Diane’s phone rang. She glanced at it then refused the call. As they resumed their discussion, it rang again.


“Sorry. She wouldn’t call back if it wasn’t important.” Diane turned slightly away from Travis to accept the call. “Yes.”


“Diane, you need to come help me.”


“Oh, I handled that earlier.” Diane smiled at Travis who focused worried eyes on her.


“No. I am not calling because you told me to. I have a real problem here.”


“What kind of problem?” Diane’s tension infused her voice as she saw Travis’ face fall.


“Your neighbor, Addy, seems to have had a rough date.”


Diane frowned. “Oh no. Not again.”


“I think so. She smells of cheap alcohol and has what looks to be the start of a shiner, and that is just what I can see.”


“Where is she?”


“On your couch, asking for you and weeping. I had to step out onto the fire escape.”


“I will be there as soon as I can.” Diane sighed.


“Oh man. You were actually enjoying your date. If she weren’t so distraught…”


“I know. I know. Thanks for looking after her.”


“You have to go?” Travis asked as she placed her phone on the table.


“I do.” Diane watched his face fall further as he placed his fork on the table.


“I’d love to at least walk you to the door if you can wait until I pay the check.”


“How about we box this up and take it with us? I will explain what is happening and you can decide if you want to reschedule.” Diane offered hopefully.


Travis waved to the waiter, who walked briskly to their table. “Is something wrong with your meals?”


“Nope. Just our lives,” Travis answered. “We need boxes and the check as life has called us away.”


The waiter looked at him in confusion for a moment before responding. “Of course, sir.”


Diane explained the situation on their way to her apartment. As he pulled up to the curb, he offered her a smile before his lips pulled downward.


“I would come upstairs to meet your friends, but I have barely met you. And it sounds like one of them doesn’t need to see any more men tonight.”


“Thank you for understanding.”


“Of course, this means you get to make reservations and pay for our next date.”


“You’d go out with me again?”


“How else will I get to know you?”


“Good point. You have my number.”


“I will be calling you, but not around any major holidays.”


They giggled and hugged awkwardly over the gearshift before she walked slowly upstairs to check on her friends.



~~As a former proud member of the Singles Awareness Day street team, I don’t think I would have been brave enough to risk a blind date on Valentine’s Day. I did allow myself to get roped into a scavenger hunt for the husband’s of three friends one year. That was pretty exciting. I think I roped an ex into that, too. Suddenly, you are wishing you were reading my memoires instead of my interpretation of writing prompts, aren’t you?~~

No comments:

Post a Comment