Friday, February 11, 2022

Good-bye, Valentine [FICTION]

We’ve been dancing around it for months. Somehow, our spark got extinguished and neither of us noticed. Even when I started to feel the chill between us, I ignored it. Today, however, I woke up feeling like so can’t drag it out anymore. I have to break up with John, so we can both move on and rediscover that spark within us.

So here I stand, shivering as I wait for John to answer his door. When he finally answers, his face brightens instantly. Maybe he feels sparks that I don’t, but even that smile doesn’t warm me.

“Betsy, baby, I didn’t expect to see you so early.”

“I’m sorry to wake you, but I really need to talk to you.”

“Come on in. It is way too cold out here.” He opens the door wider, curling up his bare toes as if to keep them warm.

I follow him inside, stepping away from his embrace as puts his arm around me to close the door.

“Too cold for hugs?”

“Maybe, you should let me speak before you offer me one.” I look down at my clasped hands.

He steps back, leading me toward the living room where he sits down on the couch. He gestures to the cushion next to him but shows no surprise when I slump into the chair furthest away. 

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong. Not really.” I begin, biting my lip as I look for the gentlest way to phrase my feelings. “It just feels like maybe we need different things from life right now.”

I know the look on his face. He makes it whenever he is about to cry. I saw it when his father had a heart attack and we thought he was going to pass away and when his team lost the Super Bowl at the last second. I don’t want to watch it fall farther, but I know the damage is already done.

“I’m sorry, John, I just…” The tears in my own eyes surprise me.

“I guess I should be grateful you didn’t pen a ‘Dear John’ letter.”

“It’s not like that. I just don’t feel like we are meant for each other.”

“So you ARE trying to break up with me?”

“Yes. I just don’t want to hurt your feelings. I have just been feeling like we aren’t a good match for a while and I wanted to break it to you gently before I lost my nerve."

“Wow, Betsy, I didn’t know you felt that way. I mean, I found the perfect gift this time.”

“Huh?”

“You still haven’t learned to keep track of important dates, have you?”

“Oh no.” I groan. “Is today an anniversary? The first time we met?”

“No. Today is Valentine’s Day.”

“Oh no.” My cheeks flush as I realize I hadn’t been paying attention to the hype going on around me as I tried to sort out my own feelings. “I’ve been so distracted,”

“So have I. I was trying to find the perfect gift for you. I thought I figured it out, but clearly I was focusing my attention on the wrong things.”

“A gift?” I ask curiously though I know I have no right to ask and might regret the answer.

“I got us tickets to Paris and arranged to see some of the places you always talk about: the Eiffel Tower, L’Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, and…”

“And?” My heart races as he pauses and reaches into his pocket.

He pulls out a small box and my heart hammers erratically. “The Love Lock Bridge to leave a token of our love.” He lifts the lid to reveal a heart shaped padlock with our initials etches in the smooth central heart.

“Oh?” My heart sinks further. 

He stands up and hands me the lock. “Maybe you will find a use for this.”

He walks me to the door in silence. I turn to say something as I step onto his front porch. I don’t get a chance. He gently closes the door as he says, “Goodbye, Valentine.”


~~Try to pay attention to the dates, my friends. If they are important to the people you claim to care about, they should be important to you. Hopefully, your Valentine’s Day and every day of this year is filled with love and opportunities to show love in a million little ways.~~


No comments:

Post a Comment