Friday, September 1, 2023

I Did It [FICTION]

I grumble as the phone rings. 

“I won’t answer it.”  I declare to the my ceiling, but I know I am lying. (The ceiling probably knows, too.)

I put down the pile of papers I am sorting to pick up the phone before it rings one more time and whisper “Yes?” To the blocked number.

“I know what you did.” A tinny voice replies, ending the call before I can respond.

Stifling another grumble, I garner as much self control as I can to place the phone gently on my desk and return to work. Deep down, I want to throw the phone or crawl through the receiver and curse at the caller. I know what I did. I know it appears wrong, but I know my reasons. I sigh and push it out of my mind. Two weeks of these phone calls, and I still can’t ignore them or their implications. 

I spend the rest of the day fighting back memories so I can get work done. By the time my workday ends, my head throbs and my soul just wants to hide in sleep.

Another week of this torture passes. Sleep becomes harder to sink into. I can’t focus whether at work or trying to relax at home. My last nerve finally snaps.

“Fine. I did it.” I scream at the person on the other end of the phone. “I kissed my best friend’s boyfriend, so he would break up with her thinking we would get together.”

They laugh maniacally and then the call disconnects. Moments later, I get a request for a video call from my best friend. I take a few deep breaths to calm myself before answering.

“Hi, Candy.” I force a smile, hoping her kids will distract her from the frustration still brewing under my surface.

“Hey. Glad you finally confessed, so we can move on.”

“What?” My chin drops to my chest. “It was you?”

“No one knows you better than me. Even when you try to keep a secret from me.” She grins.

“You aren’t mad?”

“Heck no. Thanks for distracting that loser while I got my head on straight.”

The weight that has been pressing down on me all summer finally evaporates with those words. “So…dinner tomorrow?”

“Yep. I’ll bring the ice cream.”

“Just don’t bring any losers.”

“Nope. Just the best for you from now on.”

We laugh together and my heart finally relaxes as we end the call.


~~


I was clearly a little sassy when I wrote this. Probably never a good idea to kiss your best friend’s guy even if he is a loser though…

No comments:

Post a Comment