Friday, September 15, 2023

Tricked Again [FICTION]

Another day. Another internet search. My search turned up zero results, so nothing should have happened. I didn’t even click away from the search engine because I hadn’t decided where to go next in my quest for answers. Yet a pop up appeared on my screen, promising that some undefined power would grant me three million dollars if I decided to give into bad decisions and click that suspicious and unsolicited link in the next thirty seconds.

I laughed and moved my cursor to close the window and run a virus scan. Before the mouse started to move, the lights in my room went off and plunged the room into darkness. The screen remained illuminated. Now numbers counted backwards from thirty. I tried clicking again. The cursor turned into a a laughing emoji.


I frowned and resorted to my old standby: Ctrl, Alt, Delete. The countdown stopped to be replaced by gothic red letters, dripping like blood:


“Bella, You Are No Fun!”


I grumbled in annoyance and stormed out of my room to pound on my roommate’s door. As the door stood wide open, I walked in and berated him. Apparently, that was the response he hoped for because he dissolved into hysterical laughter on the floor. I rolled my eyes and returned to my own room to resume my own sane forms of entertainment after removing his fun little program from my hard drive.




~~~


Seems like more a tale for April 1st, but you get it today. My former roomie who would probably conceive such evil manifestations has a birthday this month, so it tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment