Sunday, November 22, 2020

Gratitude Journal: Week Four [PREACHY]

Showing Gratitude for Who? You?


Today, my friend asked how I practice self-care. I admit with shame that I don’t do much of that. As a mom, most of my self-care is keeping my children happy because their sadness is my sadness or taking a half hour to tidy and clean some of my craft mess because clutter apparently increases stress. Little steps to big rewards, right?


~~

Grateful for the Laughs


Honestly, I laugh a lot at random things. Usually, it is a memory that no one else would find amusing. When I realize that, I laugh harder. Sorry if you are one of the people I have disrupted with my own perceptions of my hilarity. I also enjoy a good sitcom, even the older cheesy ones like “Green Acres”, “Bewitched”, and the “Munsters” that started repeating the same basic story just throwing different characters in and hoping we wouldn’t notice. We noticed, but we just didn’t care.


~~


Gift of Gratitude


Maybe all this talk of gratitude had me ready for to share what gifts have brought me joy. I have been thinking a lot about gifts I have received lately. In particular, I was thinking about an angel statue my mother painted for me using nail polish. I am sure any discerning art critic would tell me to throw it out, but it was made with love, so it is priceless to me. I also have a giant red coat that was keeping me warm this morning. It has always been too large for me, but my friend that gave it to me wanted me to stay warm when the temperatures dropped. Of course, that was over twenty years ago and she has passed on, but the coat still keeps me warm. 


Another friend answered this question in a way I wish I had thought of first. She commented that she is so grateful for true friends, the ones you can count on no matter what, who don’t judge you but also don’t shy away from telling you when you are being stupid. Sometimes, we need it. We don’t like it, but we need it.


~~


Sweet Safety


What makes you feel safe? Is it returning home after a long day? A police officer? Knowing you are loved?


I feel safe when I am cuddled up with my daughters. This proves ironic since they have a tendency to throw wild arms and legs in every direction, but they are just so sweet and snuggly. Maybe keeping them safe makes me feel safe? Whatever it is, I love their sweet snuggles.


~~


Shoutout to All the Heroes


I think we all need a lot of heroes. Some of my heroes are my friends who persevere no matter how hard life gets, particularly those who make having a half dozen kids look easy. I also am a hero of the people working retail who keep smiling even when some of the customers take out their bad day on them, and the nurses who often deal with the same bad behavior, not to mention bodily fluids and increased risk of getting sick. And people who keep on moving forward even when life gives them a bad hand. Those are some of my heroes. If you are struggling and still get up every morning and do what needs to get done, let yourself be your own hero.


~~


Bring on Those Smiles


A lot of things make me smile. Some even make me laugh until I cry. Should I admit that some of my favorite stories are not flattering to my oldest brother and my former roommate? Only my brother could get out a ticket because his truck smelled so bad the officer wouldn’t get within three feet of the tailgate…and I have other such gems to make me smile when life is bleak. Of course, my children can always make me smile. Smiles are addictive especially when they are that adorable.


~~


Grateful In Every Season


Being asked to pick a favorite season reminds me of being asked to pick just one ice cream flavor for the rest of my life. I can not do it. I love the crunchy leaves in autumn. Cooler weather.  And Halloween. And Thanksgiving. I love snow in winter and the excuse to bake a million delicious treats. And Christmas, of course. Who doesn’t love presents and carols and sugar cookies? And don’t forget that this is the season when we celebrate the birth of our Savior.  Then we find our way into Spring and the warmth comes back, flowers bloom, color returns, and the birds return to sing to us. Which just leaves summer with popsicles, swimming, my birthday, and all sorts of other wonderful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment