Friday, April 8, 2022

Phone Swaps [FICTION]

“We should have the evidence we need tonight, Barbie,” Peter beamed triumphantly at his partner.

“I hope so. This is the last case I ever have to work with you,” she glared at him, which somehow made her stunning blue eyes darker.


“You can’t mean that. We work so well together.” He leaned forward, inhaling deeply to catch hints of floral notes from her long, blond hair.


“No. I work. You watch and try to flirt with me.”


“I can’t help it. You’re every man’s dream girl.”


“Every man except John O. Hindman,” her mouth softened into a satisfied smile as she said the name.


“Yeah, but he doesn’t know that yet. One  more date to swap phones again and we’ll have him.” 


“Don’t get ahead of yourself. We have to get the phone back or our evidence is heresy.” 


“You’ve got this, Barbie.” 


She snarled at him and turned away. “I better go get dressed for my date.”


~


“Is the setup set up?” Peter’s laughter tickled his partner’s ear as she stepped out of her car.


“Yes.” Her tense voice demanded professionalism in that single syllable.


“Understood.” Peter sullenly replied.


She stepped quietly toward the door. Her blue eyes tried to take in everything. Nothing set off that alarm in her gut that had saved her life on more than one occasion. An attendant opened the door for her. She bobbed in a gentle curtsy, internally cursing the tightness of her dress. 


As the host raised his head to greet Barbie, a tall man in a perfectly fitted suit stepped forward to take her arm. She smiled up at him, taking in the stubble darkening his chin and cheeks as he leaned in to kiss her smooth cheek lightly.


“I’m so sorry that I couldn’t pick you up, Barbara. CashCreation has been working me like a dog this week.”


“I can tell,” she gently ran her index finger along the rough stubble on his face as his dark eyes tried to gaze through her.


“If you keep that up, I’m going to have to fire you.”


“I thought you liked it.”


“I do, but I can’t be married to one of my employees.”


She drew in a sharp breath and stared back into his eyes. “I think you just might mean that.”


“I do. If I had met you before human resources hired you, I would have forbid them to do so.” He took her arm and gently guided her toward the host, who was watching them with bored eyes.


“Mr. Hindman, your table is ready,” he grabbed two oversized menus and motioned for them to follow.


John wrapped his arm protectively around her waist and she leaned into his shoulder. She looked at him quizzically as the host lead them through the main room and toward the private dining rooms at the back of the restaurant.


“Enjoy your meal,” the host said as he opened the door and waited for them to step inside.


The small dining room held a table for ten. Only two place settings marred the pristine white table cloth. Barbara looked to John curiously.


“You’re worth it. I just know it.” He whispered.


Her cheeks rouged. He smiled, licking his lips. His gaze traveled from her flushed cheeks to her lips. She turned her head and stepped toward one of the chairs. He rushed to hold it out for her as the waitress appeared in the doorway. She looked at the mostly empty table with disappointment before she got her face in check and smiled pleasantly.


“Good evening. I am Erica. I will be serving you this evening.”


John ordered as Barbara smiled bemusedly. Behind that smile, her mind processed the situation, wondering how she could switch the phones. The original plan involved a distraction from another member of the bureau, but causing a distraction in a private room would be too suspicious even to a smitten megalomaniac who thinks no one will ever catch him. She unconsciously touched the phone strapped to her inner thigh as she leaned in to listen to something he was saying.


John noticed and smiled, placing his own hand over hers. “Let’s not talk about work.”

She demurely moved their hands to the edge of her chair and shifted her legs to better conceal the phone hidden there. As if the focus of her thoughts somehow influenced it, the replacement phone rang inside his blazer. He pulled it out to turn it off and place it facedown on the table.


“I don’t want to be interrupted. It is rare to spend time with such a beautiful woman.”


Barbara blushed and pulled her hand away. John leaned closer, wrapping an arm around her back. She gasped as he kissed her, gently at first and then hungrily. She almost blurted out a thank you as the waitress returned with their drinks, giving her a chance to breathe. While John tried to charm the waitress, Barbara took a chance and swapped the phones. As she slipped the replacement phone into the special holster under her skirt, John turned back around.


“Where were we?” He leaned back into her.


As their lips touched, Barbara pulled away. “I’m sorry. I can’t. You’re the boss.”


“You’re fired.” He whispered and pulled her back into him.


“Do you need backup?” Peter’s voice whispered. “Use the code word…”


“You can’t fire me for refusing to kiss you.” She smiled into John’s eyes. “I’d have to sue you.”


He laughed and ignored her struggles to free herself from his surprisingly strong embrace. Luckily, footsteps pounded behind them as he reached for her thighs, his fingers inches from grazing the phone hidden there.


“John O. Hindman, you’re under arrest for fraud,” a familiar voice declared.


John finally released Barbara, turning to face Peter. “Fraud? I am just kissing a beautiful woman, who clearly wanted me to kiss her.”


“Did you want him to kiss you ma’am?” Peter managed to keep a straight face, but Barbara could discern the twinkle in his eye.


She feigned disdain. “That isn’t your business, is it?”


“Not unless you wish to press charges, but I think this man has enough troubles.”


“I’ll get this worked out, Barbara and then I will give you a raincheck on our romantic evening.”


“Might not want to wait for that phone call, ma’am.” Peter edged his way between John and Barbara, winking at her as he handcuffed John.


~~


“So?” Peter asked as they debriefed with their director later. “Did we get what we need?”


“Yes. The phone contained every conversation he had over the last week. If it is any indication of how he always conducts business, we aren’t charging him with enough counts of fraud and counterfeiting.” Their boss said.


“And?” Barbara asked.


“Barbara, your transfer went through. I hate to break up this team, but it’s time.”


“Past time,” Barbara grinned.


“I am glad you pulled off this last case together. No one else could have pulled this one off.”


Barbara and Peter looked at each other and nodded their agreement though Peter met Barbara’s triumphant smile with downturned lips.





~~Another exciting Friday night tale to ease you into the weekend. Though some people think that reading on a Friday night is no fun. I am clearly not one of those people. Either way, have a great weekend.~~

No comments:

Post a Comment