Friday, April 22, 2022

Sing Into Your Love [FICTION]

 “Now that you’ve moved up in the world, you better join us for one last night out before corporate advancement sucks out all of your cool,” Molly laughed.

“Sounds good. Where are we going?”


“Katie’s.”


“The karaoke bar?”


“You know it.”


“Sing you there.”


“You are losing your cool already.”


‘What? That was funny.”


“Nope, but you thinking it was is more proof that you are becoming lame.” She laughed again and walked away.


~~~


“So here is the rule of the night,” Molly said with a grin as we gather around our table with one of the song binders. “No one picks their own song. Someone else will pick for you.”


“And since it is your night,” Troy winked at me, “I know the perfect song for an old lady like you.”


He flipped through the book and turned a page toward me.


“”Islands in the Stream’” I grinned at him, “It’s a duet. Are you planning to sing it with me?”


“Nope. I want to hear you sing both parts. Anyone who is management material could do it.”


“I don’t think so.” I looked to Molly for support.


She shrugged. “Rules are rules. Get up there.”


As our table cheered me on, the disc jockey called out my name and the song name. I gave my alleged friends an annoyed look but no one noticed. I stepped up to the stage and looked at the screen, which informed me the first part belonged to Kenny. I sighed, took a deep breathe and prepared to sing. The first few notes floated through the air. A stirring in the crowd caused me to stop focusing on the butterflies in my stomach. I looked up to see a man hurrying through the crowd. He grabbed the second microphone and winked at me as the bounding dot prompted me to sing. My mouth dropped open but no words came out. Instead, the man began to sing in a perfect time to the music.


As he sang, I drank him in. He stood about a foot taller than me with short-cropped dark hair with hints of salt and pepper soon to come. The light stubble on his chin already exhibited those specks of silver and grey. As I gazed into his dark brown eyes, he smiled and nodded his head at the prompter where a pink dot now bounced beside the blue one.


I opened my mouth, surprised as our voices blended together perfectly. He leaned closer to me as we sang. Then he reached out his free hand and turned me toward the audience. His voice faded out and I turned back toward him to read the words over his shoulder as I sang solo. He smiled at me, nodding his head in time with the music.


“Making love with each other.” I felt my cheeks flush and the left corner of his mouth twitched as his eyes lowered to look at my lips.


As we belted out the last words of the song, he wrapped his arm around my waist and gently led me into a synchronized bow. We replaced our microphones to another round of applause and he kept his arm around my waist.


“It was a pleasure to sing with you,” he said. “My name is Logan.”


“I appreciate it. My friends thought it would be funny for me to sing a duet with myself.”


“I’d never let such a pretty woman sing alone.” He smiled sincerely at me.


I couldn’t find a response to that as the butterflies began bouncing around in my stomach again.


“So since your friends would, how about we ditch them and go somewhere quieter?” He offered me his hand.


I accepted it.




~~I hope that Earth Day brings you joy and opportunities to enjoy some sunshine and spring flowers. I traveled through a snow storm earlier this week, so I am valuing those lovely blooms and golden rays more than usual. Also, I realize I owe you another post of poems for National Poetry Month. Wish me luck and keep smiling.~~

No comments:

Post a Comment